THIRTY EIGHT

AFTER
DETECTIVE BRETT PORTER

News of the discovered body at the harbor could only be contained for so long. Shortly after I informed Ben and the parents, news leaked and everything blew up. I guess I got lucky there. I'd rather be the one who told them the devastating news than the television. But now I have so much more to worry about. Because yet again, everywhere I look, I see her face. Breaking news: Missing woman's body found at Bridgeport Harbor. Twenty-six-year-old Catalaina Kittridge found dead. Missing woman's body discovered by joggers.

The news vans that have been camped out on the street have only multiplied and now there are dozens. They surround the house, constantly harassing Ben, asking him if he did this. Yes, because I'm sure if he did do this, he would just come right out and tell the journalists.

The more media attention that Ben gets, the closer of an eye I keep on him. He's our prime suspect at this moment, and I want to see how he's reacting. So far, he's showing signs of true devastation. When I delivered the news, I watched him and tried to analyze his facial expressions and body language. It seemed genuine, as though her death was a true shock to him. He's either innocent, or a damn good actor.

I try to make a mental list of suspects, but so far, there are only two. Ben, and the man she was having an affair with: Dominic. Other than that, there's no one else with means or motive to kill Catalaina, which means that I'm not doing my job. Clearly somebody killed her. And clearly she had secrets, things that not even her fiancé knew. I need to dig deeper into her life and unearth these secrets. It's the only way to truly find out who wanted her dead.

There's a press conference later that evening. The lieutenant wants us on this thing, stat, covering any and all questions that might get later twisted. I stand in front of the microphone with Zoey and the lieutenant next to me. The cameras are all flashing at us, microphones being shoved in our faces. Security gets people to move farther back.

Once everything is calm and controlled, the lieutenant begins to speak.
"Yesterday afternoon, the body of Catalaina Kittridge was discovered at the Bridgeport Harbor. Catalaina went missing on the evening of Wednesday May fifteenth, a week and four days ago. We are not yet releasing any details of her death, but one thing that we know for sure is that foul play was involved.
"If you know anything that could aid in this investigation to find whoever is responsible for Catalaina's death, please contact us as soon as possible at the number displayed at the bottom of the screen."

I stare at the lieutenant as he finishes speaking and note how he uses the word death rather than murder. We all know she was murdered, so I'm not sure why he's afraid to throw the word around, making this case sound gentler than it is.

The press goes crazy and we politely excuse ourselves and leave before things get too out of control. They have questions that we don't yet have answers to.

Perhaps that will change soon.

______

The next morning, I bring Dominic Belmont into the station. It's imperative that I speak with him now that the body's been found.

He sits in the interrogation room. I stare at him through the mirrored window before entering. He sits there with his head in his hands, not moving. Is it pain that he's feeling? Or guilt?

I open the door and walk inside, the file folder and coffee in my hands. I set them down on the table, pull out the chair, and take a seat across from him. He sits up and looks at me.

"Mr. Belmont," I say. "We meet again, I'm afraid, under some unfortunate circumstances."
He stares at me, not saying a word.
"I'm assuming you've seen the news?" I ask him.
"Yes."
"Is there any other information you'd like to share with me now that you know she's dead?"
"Are you asking me if I killed her?"
"I'm asking you if there's anything you think I should know that pertains to this investigation. If that includes you confessing to her murder, then sure, that's what I'm asking."
"No," he barks. "That's ridiculous. Why would I kill her? I love–" he stops.
"Where were you on the night of May fifteenth?"
"At my house."
"Can anyone account for that? Any alibis?"
"I was by myself."
"How convenient."
"I didn't do it. I would never hurt her. I have no reason to."
"Okay," I say. "Here's what's going to happen. I'd advise you to lawyer up, because right now, you're not in a good position. You were having an affair with an engaged woman who then went missing and turned up murdered, and you have no alibi for the night that she disappeared."
"I know how it looks."
"Perfect. Then you know how guilty you could potentially look, especially if we find out more information about Catalaina that could incriminate you. Perhaps you had a fight, things got out of hand. Perhaps this secret would be better kept if there was only a sole surviving member."
"No."
I sit back and fold my hands in my lap. "Get a lawyer," I tell him. "We'll be in touch."