Silence

Griff's POV:

I grab onto my sister's hand afraid of what will come next. 

"Sir, I'm sorry to inform you, your sister has a kidney failure."

It feels like my world has stopped revolving, that's because she is my world. I'm terrified. My hand comes up to clutch my chest while I look at Kinley.

Her mouth quivers and her eyes lose tears.

The last time I have felt this much fear was when mom, dad, and Kinley were in a car accident.

There is complete silence for two minutes, the doctor giving us time to process this information.

"Will I die, Doctor Martinez?" Kinley asks while voice wavering.

"Honey, listen to me, with the proper processes done, I'm sure you will be okay very soon. But unfortunately, you will have to go through surgery as soon as possible, so that the pain can go away for you," Doctor Martinz speaks with such confidence, while I feel like I'm losing my confidence by the second.

"I'll leave you guys to talk and I'll be back in a few." The Doctor says silently while exiting the room.

Kinley starts speaking but my brain doesn't decipher the words. My mind races, what if I lose her? My baby. My baby. My baby.

"Griff!" Kinley's exclaim of my name brings me back to consciousness of my surroundings.

I look at her silently.

"Griff, I'm scared, what are they gonna do, I've never seen you like this," Kinley says softly.

I promised myself on the day of the accident that I would never cry because I need to show my siblings that I'm there for them and I will never give up on them.

I take a deep breath and sit up straight.

"Baby, I know you're scared. You are so brave okay, let's ask the doctor what to do and we'll do the surgery as soon as possible. I can't stand to see you in pain," I say quietly but strongly.

The Doctor comes back in after a couple of minutes and explains to me how this could have happened, and that we need to do the surgery now.

They dress Kinley up in a hospital gown and let her sleep for a while before the surgery.

Matthew's POV:

I pause the TV show Tate and I are watching when I hear my phone ring.

I answer the call while scratching my bare chest.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Matthew, it's me," Griff says seriously, immediately I stiffen because I knew Kinley and him went to the hospital.

"Uh, hey Griff, what did the doctor say?" I ask cautiously.

There was just silence so I thought he hung up on me but his voice speaks up.

"Matthew, Kinley, she has, um..." Griff says in almost a whisper.

My heart starts beating rapidly and I grip my phone.

"Griff, spit it out! What is it?" I yell, which causes Tate's head to snap in my direction.

"Matthew, Kinley has a failed kidney, she needs to have surgery now." He says fastly almost as if the words tasted bitter in his mouth.

I drop my phone and my sobs wrack through my body. I have always been the emotional brother in the family.

"Matthew, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Tate asks with concern.

He sees my phone on the ground and picks it up. 

Tate's POV:

"Griff is that you, why is Mat-" Griff cuts me off and instructs me to drive to the hospital near our house with Matthew.

Before I could ask what happened, he hangs up on me. I tug my hair out of frustration and grab my car keys. Matthew still crying, follows me out of the house sits in the passenger seat and I start up my car.

After fifteen minutes of me definitely bending some speed rules, we rush into the hospital and ask for McKinley Hayes' room.

We walk into her room and immediately Matthew pushes past me and runs to Kinley. He sobs and her own tears run down her face and she hugs Matthew tightly.

"Will someone tell me what's going on!?" I yell getting a warning from a nurse to be quiet.

As soon as he tells me what's going on my breathing pattern changes. I slowly sit on the hospital chair and rub my hands on my face.

I look up to meet Kinley's red eyes, her hand still latching onto Matthew's. This is the situation all over again, what if I lose her this time?

"Pumpkin, you have to be brave, for me, okay?" I tell her with a smile to make her more confident.

I get a small agreement from her right when Doctor Martinez walks through the door. 

"So, Griffin, you are the legal guardian of this angel right?" He asks politely with a smile shot towards Kinley.

"Yes sir, I am," Griff replies with a smile.

After the Doctor goes over the protocols and what will happen during the surgery, the anesthesiologist comes to Kinley and talks quietly to her. 

We go to Kinley and we kiss her cheek and tell her to sleep well. Matthew's eyes are still tearing up as we leave the room. My pumpkin will be brave, I know it. Griff stays back a minute to let her know how brave she is and how much we love her.

Well, I'm going to go get a coffee.

Thanks! Stay Safe!