Holding a Grudge

THE NEXT MORNING (SATURDAY)

 I was sitting in the kitchen's countertop talking to Matty while he was cooking waffles for breakfast. Griff was standing behind the breakfast bar and talking on the phone with a client.

Right when Griff hangs up on the person who he was just talking to, we hear the garage door open and car door close softly. Immediately, my heart reaches my throat and heart rate increases. I'm ready to run out of the kitchen but Matthew makes me eat first.

Tate, slowly but surely walks into the house and enters the living room and looks up to meet my eyes. I spare a glance at him and see complete guilt swarming in his eyes. His hair is all messy  and his clothes wrinkled. He throws his car eyes on the couch and rushes over to the kitchen. You can already see Griff's face hardening.

"I'm so sor-" He starts to rush out of his mouth. Before he could finish, I say a quick "thank you" to Matty for the waffles and run upstairs to my room and lock the door.

After that I hear everyone coming upstairs and sitting in the loft.

Griff is the first one to speak, "Where were you Tate? What happened yesterday? That's so unlike you."

I can hear Tate's hushed voice. "Look, I'm so sorry Griff for the way I acted and all the things I sad. You know that I never mean that. I care about her so much, I would do anything for her. She is my baby sister. I was just at Mason's house yesterday, he doesn't mind."

Third Person's Point of View

After Tate's apology, Griffin got up and walked towards  Tate, and told him to stand up. Tate stood up warily afraid, that he might get a slap across the face like yesterday. What happened next surprised him, Griffin hugged him tightly and said "I'm sorry for slapping you, it's just that I was so mad you said that stuff to Kinley."

Tate slowly embraced him back. "It's okay."

Back to McKinley's Point of View

I was lying in my bed facing the window thinking about random stuff when I heard my room door creak. 

"If your name starts with a T and rhymes with late, then go away." I was in absolutely no mood to speak with my brother, I will not give in no matter how guilty or sorry he is. 

I hear a voice that's slightly deeper than my other brother. 

"Well, my name starts with an M and rhymes with... actually I don't know what it rhymes with...anyways, it's Matthew." Matty says goofily, this brings out a slight giggle out of my mouth involuntarily and makes my etched frown disappear.

He laughs too and says, "There's that laugh. So, whatcha doin'?" 

He comes sits down on the bed with me and lays my head own on his lap. One of the best things I love about my brothers are that they aren't afraid to show their affection and are always up for hugs. He starts stroking my hair and asks me the same question again when I don't respond.

"McKinley, whatcha doin'? Are you okay?" He asks concerned. 

"I'm okay, I just...I just feel bad okay? Tate got in trouble because of me, and now, he probably hates me and I'm the one holding a grudge on him." My voice cracks while I speak and my lips start to quiver.

"Listen Kinley, the Tate that said all those horrible things yesterday is the same Tate who you would never leave alone, and he is the same Tate that you would say 'I love you' to every single day when he left to school and came back from school, and that Tate is the same Tate that cares about you so much and loves you. He was just upset yesterday, we all have those days right? Trust me, he feels really bad. Why don't you go talk to him. Maybe that will help you feel better huh, sweetpea?"

"I don't know..." I say hesitating.

Matthew smiles softly and gets up, I thought he was going to leave the room but instead he picked me up and threw me over his shoulder!

"Hey! Put me down, what are you doing!" I shout, my heart rate picking up.

"Oh nothing" He says calmly. So I took advantage of this situation, lowered my self and kicked him where the sun don't shine. 

Instantly he lets go of me and lowers onto the ground, "McKinley, that is not funny young lady, wait until I tell Griffin about this, he's going to be so mad!" As soon as the word Griffin comes up, chill run down my spine.

Then all of a sudden a door opens widely revealing Tate wearing his swimming team sweatshirt and sweatpants. 

"What is all this yelling for?" He asks confused, but as soon as his eyes land on mine, he gulps and tries to go back into the room.  Instead of worrying about Matty on the ground in pain, I run up to Tate and clutch onto him for dear life. 

"It's okay Tate, I believe you, it's okay, I forgive you, please don't hate me!" I shut my eyes closed tightly and hope he reacts the way I want him to.

A second later I hear a deep sigh and a hand run through my hair, slowly Tate lifts me up so he's carrying me  while my eyes refuse to meet his. 

"Hey, look at me, good, listen, I could never, ever hate you baby, okay? I would do anything for you and I'm so glad you forgave me because the words that I sad keep replaying in my head over and over again. I'm sorry baby, I'm sorry, am I your favorite brother again?" He asks the last part cheekily knowing that I'll give a sassy answer back.

"Tate, how many times have I told you, I love you, Matty and Griff all the same!"

With that, we spent the rest of the day binge-watching shows on Netflix.

Thank you guys so much for everything. I am happy to get any recommendations of suggestions, I won't be offended. I always like  positive environment though, so let's keep the possible comments respectful to everyone.

McKinley and Her BrothersOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara