Chapter 9-10: Picked It Up (2-3)

Chapter 9: Picked It Up (2)

Cale held a bag that was twice the size of yesterday's bag as he headed back up to the top of the slums. The two siblings were there to greet him once again.

The children kept their mouth shut as they looked toward Cale. Cale smiled as he took out two small bags and pushed them toward the children.

"Take it."

The young girl slowly approached him. Cale frowned as he watched the girl with coarse grey hair approach him. She had a hand on her side as she limped over to him.

"Hey."

Cale pushed the two bags toward the young boy.

"You come here and take it."

The young boy quickly rushed over and snatched the bags before quickly running back. Compared to Cale's bright red hair, the boy had coarse dark red hair that shook as he ran.

Cale then turned around and headed toward the man-eating tree.

"Wow."

"It's not bread. It's meat and cake."

He could hear the siblings talking about the food, but he did not care. He continued to walk toward the man-eating tree's territory.

Oooooooooooooong-

"...It's a bit scary."

The black tree without any leaves seemed to be moving its branches to welcome Cale. This eerie feeling made Cale nervous, but he still poured the contents of the bag into the hole underneath the tree.

The bread quickly disappeared.

It was at that moment.

"...More, give me more."

'...It's driving me crazy.'

The response he read about in the novel showed up. It was the voice of a weak girl. Yes, the person who starved to death was a priestess who served a god. However, unlike the present day priestesses of the temples or churches, the ancient priestesses were shamans. The majority of the ancient shamans could be considered people who had superpowers or natural forces under their command.

Cale quickly grabbed the bag and started to move.

'Cale, come to my study tonight.'

That was what his father, Deruth, had said to Cale when he went to get some allowance. That was why he had to leave here before evening at the latest.

'Half.'

He came here with the intention of taking care of half of the gluttony of the tree today. He went back down the hill to get more bread. He could see the two siblings looking at him with cake on their lips.

"Tsk."

Cale frowned and clicked his tongue as he walked past the two siblings.

Cale then walked to the street where there were a lot of bakeries. He had already swept the stock of the bakery he went to yesterday this morning, so it would take them some time to restock. That was why he needed to look for another bakery. It was at that moment.

"Y, young master."

A woman's voice made Cale turn his head. A middle-aged woman smiled awkwardly as she pointed to her shop. Her hand was shaking and she was full of fear, but she still had some confidence.

"We have a lot of bread."

Cale started to smile. Now this was a woman who knew how to do business. The other vendors were peeking their way while looking at what was going on.