XXIII

Chapter Twenty Three- Deceived 

Would Camille help them? Would she willingly give them what they wanted or would she demand something heavy in return?

These were the only thoughts that were running through Olivia's mind as she got out of the red gown and into her normal dark clothes. 

And if she demands something, which she probably will, would they be able to give it to her?

God. Olivia sighed and shook her head. She was pretty sure that if she continued thinking about these think, she'd end up going mad.

'' When did our lives get so messed up?'' she breathed out and stared at her mirror reflection as if it could give her the answer to her question. 

''Great. Now I am talking to the mirror.'' 

A knock suddenly erupted on her door and she instantly realized who it was. 

Jace. 

She knew it was him.  His scent--leather and dried leaves-- was familiar to her nose.

Sighing, she bit her lip and ran her hand through her hair before moving towards the door and opening it. ''Hi--'' she paused and frowned as she saw Jace standing in her doorway with a very familiar box in his hands. ''How did you get that?'' she asked, looking down at the JC wooden box with wary eyes. The last she remembered, Clary had transformed it into a 2D drawing, so then how was it in Jace's hands?

''Clary gave it to me,'' Jace replied and tightened his hands around the box. After Clary had told him about this box and had explained to him how Jocelyn had never really abandoned him, the boy had felt an extremely overwhelming sense of confusion and sadness and had-- much to his own shock--thought about how Olivia was the only one who could understand him and his feelings in this situation.

That's why he found himself standing outside Olivia's room. Because as much as he hated himself for having romantic feelings for his sister, a part of him knew that his relationship with Olivia was much more than that. 

She was much more than that.

Olivia wasn't just his sister or the girl he had feelings for. She was his friend--no, no, she was his best friend. She understood him in ways  Alec and Ian didn't. She knew him, deep down to his very core, Olivia Fairchild knew him. 

''Jace,'' Olivia said, looking at him and immediately noticing his expression. ''Jace, Jace what happened?''

Jace sighed and walked inside the room. ''Did you know Jocelyn always took this box out once every year and cried over it on my birthday?''

 Olivia's eyes softened. ''I did.''

''Clary said she loved me. But,'' Jace inhaled sharply, ''I don't think that's true. How could she have ever loved a monster?''