V

Chapter Five-Always Have a Backup Plan

''Clary!'' Olivia called out after her sister, hoping that she would stop and listen. But instead of doing that, Clary simply picked up her pace and turned around a corner, leaving Olivia to grunt in frustration. ''This is just great.'' she murmured and turned around the corner--only to  immediately collide into a hard chest.

''Ouch!''

She let out a surprised gasped and peered up to see that the person she had bumped into was none other than Jace. A wincing Jace, to be more specific. ''I'm sorry.'' Olivia breathed out, watching as he rubbed his left shoulder, which had taken the full blow of their collosion.

'' It's okay.'' he smirked and patted his shoulder, ''It takes a lot more than a little collision to injure Jace Wayland.''

Olivia raised her eyebrows. ''You refer to yourself in third person?''

''Very rarely.'' he admitted, and then frowned as he suddenly remembered Hodge's words. Protect Olivia. Jace hadn't understood what Hodge had meant by those words and when he had  asked him (Hodge) about it, the only reply he had gotten was, 'Protect her, Jace. She's in more danger than you know.'

What kind of danger was Olivia in? Jace wondered. Was someone after her life?

The brunntte noticed the zoned out look in his eyes and snapped her fingers in front of his face. ''Earth to, Jace.''

Jace blinked, snapping out of his thoughts and staring at Olivia with raised eyebrows. ''Huh?''

She frowned. ''Are you okay? You look perplexed.''

''No, no, I'm fine.'' Jace closed his eyes and sighed deeply before again opening them. ''Come on, we have to find Clary.'' he spoke and started to walk away, leaving Olivia to frown. She knew something was wrong with Jace. The way he had suddenly zoned out told her as much. 

But what was wrong with him? Olivia didn't know, and she had a feeling that she'd have to figure out the answer to that question by herself.

Jace turned around and frowned when he saw her standing in the same spot. ''Olivia,'' he began, gaining the brunntte's attention, ''Are you coming?''

''Yeah, yeah, I'm coming.'' she sighed and started to follow after him.

After taking a few more turns, the duo found Clary walking towards the exit of the Institute, and without thinking twice about it, they ran after her.

''Clary, stop.''

''Clary, look, will you just calm down?'' Jace asked, grabbing Clary's arm and turning her around to face them. Olivia, judging by Clary's facial expression, could tell that Jace's words had not settled well with her, and wasn't surprised when she (Clary) lashed out at the blonde male.