VII

                                                               Chapter Seven- Rescuing Simon

 The ride back to the Institute was a silent one. No one spoke a single word and the only two things that could be heard inside the van were the humming of the engine and Clary's constant sobs. In fact, her sobs had increased to such an amount that she nearly slammed them into a pole

It was then that Olivia decided that she would drive and told Clary to switch places with her. Once the older girl was behind the wheel and the younger girl was in the front passenger seat, they again drove off, and this time, the ride was truly silent.

They reached the Institute within fifteen minutes, and once they stepped inside the shadowhunter sanctuary, Clary started rambling about how the three experts (Jace, Izzy, and Alec) had failed in saving Simon from the vampires.

''I still don't understand,'' she began as they continued walking through the main hallway of the Institue, ''How can Shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes?''

''Because we protect humans,'' Izzy explained as Jace and Alec leaned against the wall, not wanting to be a part of the conversation that was happening between the two girls.

Clary scoffed and turned around to face the dark-haired girl. ''You are right, humans, you protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys, you rock.''

''Clary, shut up.'' Olivia spoke through clenched teeth and balled her fingers into fists, getting angry at  Clary for blaming Izzy for what had happened. ''Why?'' Clary argued back, ''Simon's kidnapped because of them!''

''No, he's not!'' the older brunette snapped, lifting her head and glaring at her sister,  ''He was kidnapped because of you! Because you dragged him into the middle of this. Because you couldn't tell him to stay out of this mess. This is your fault, Clary! So stop blaming others for the mistakes you made.''

Clary stared at Olivia in shock. Her mouth opened and closed like a fish, but no words came out. Upon seeing her sister's frozen form, the older girl scoffed, ''Now you stand there like a statue while your best friend's entire life is at risk.''

The three expert shadowhunters looked at the interaction between the two sisters with raised eyebrows. They had never seen this aggressive side of Olivia, but Clary had. ''I-'' she started but got cut off by the older girl. ''Don't. Just don't.'' she gave the younger girl a withering glare and walked away, leaving behind an air of tensed silence.

''What was that?'' Izzy spoke up after a few seconds as Jace kept his eyes on the retreating form of Olivia, not understanding the usually calm girl's sudden outburst. There is something, he thought, something that we don't know about Olivia. Something that maybe even she doesn't know.