VIII

Chapter Eight- Deadly Secrets

It had been five hours since they had rescued the mundane and seven hours since Olivia had gotten kidnapped by a warlock. And Jace Wayland couldn't have felt more guilter.

In fact, he felt as if he had failed in his duty to protect the girl.

Sighing loudly and re-opening his eyes, he continued to pace outside the training room. The sketch that Clary had managed to draw from Alec's description of the warlock was held loosely in his hand, and he found himself, for the millionth time, glancing at it. 

What, Jace wondered, would this warlock want Olivia for?

He had no idea. But he knew someone that could (more than likely) have the answers to his questions. 

''Hodge,'' Jace called out once he saw his teacher coming out of the training room. Stoping his pacing, and walking over to the older male, he added, ''Hey, uh, can I have a second?''

''Sure.'' Hodge smiled and then frowned as he noticed the worried look on the boy's face. ''What happened?''

''Olivia. Hodge, a warlock kidnapped her.'' 

The teacher's face went slack and his breath suddenly hitched at the back of his throat. ''What-How?''

Jace opened his mouth to answer but then realized that he wouldn't be able to explain what had happened without giving away the previous night's events. So, he simply shut his mouth and emitted a long sigh. ''It's complicated.''

''Jace.'' Hodge spoke firmly, not thinking that the boy knew the amount of danger Olivia could be in,  ''Olivia's been kidnapped, now is not the time to say that 'it's complicated'. ''

''Look,'' Jace began, sighing sharply and running his hand through his hair, ''It is complicated, okay? It's a very long story and requires a lot of explanation and we probably don't have that much time.''

The older male narrowed his eyes but didn't say anything else, indirectly letting the younger male know that he was listening. ''This,'' he (Jace) handed the paper that held Clary's drawing of the  warlock to Hodge. ''..is the warlock that kidnapped Olivia. I wanted to ask whether you know anything about him.''

One look at the drawing and Hodge inhaled sharply, instantly recognizing the face that was notoriously well known in the shadow world. ''Magnus Bane.''

''Magnus Bane? As in the high warlock of Brooklyn Magnus Bane?'' Jace raised his eyebrows in surprise and then narrowed them in a frown as he suddenly remembered Clary telling him about having repetitive fragments of dreams that consisted of her mother telling Magnus to remove her memories (which he did, by the way).