Ch. 35 -Kindling

I pushed my fingers into the hard earth that was still slightly damp from the morning frost before continuing placing brick around the large, hollowed-out fire pit someone had dug out in front of the packhouse. It was next to the main stage they were building for an announcement Head Alpha Gaius was to make with Alpha Silas when he arrived the next morning after traveling from Ukraine.

It was nice to get out of that blasted house and actually work with my hands. The bitter cold had less of a bite as morning turned to noon while we all worked on our assigned tasks. Delia and Claire were fiddling with decorations as nameless pack members hammered thick poles into the ground around a mini podium directly placed facing the main, wooden stage located adjacent to the fire pit.

A camera crew seemed to be finding the best angles to see the podiums and fire pit, which I assumed would be a mandatory televised event to be streamed by all of the districts. They would show them to our district every few months in the main square. I wasn't stupid, or at least not stupid enough to realize this had to be related to the list of witches I had been tasked to destroy.

As I worked laying brick after brick down, I noticed some of the guests arrive in a hoard of sleek black vehicles. I assumed they were lower-ranking alphas and betas of other districts like Silas and Lucas that were attending the party at Silas' house this evening. Originally, it had been planned to occur at the packhouse, but with multiple guests flocking in as they arrived throughout the night, Silas decided it was best to have the party at his home.

As I brushed my hands off my denim jeans, I looked up and saw Delia and Claire bounding my way with something in hand. My eyes immediately honed in on Delia, who clutched a rather full blue velvet pouch.

"Look what Silas sent us!" she almost sang with excitement opening the purse revealing a vast array of sparkling rings, necklaces, and bracelets. I went to reach for one to further inspect it before Delia suggested, "Why don't we go clean up before we dive into these."

I nodded, agreeing as I examined dirt under my fingernails before following her lead back to the packhouse.

Claire chimed in, asking, "Are these to show off for the dinner tonight? Jack is very excited to have been invited."

I grimaced. I didn't like Jack, maybe even more than I didn't like Silas. He seemed like he would do anything to climb their social hierarchy, and people like that werewolf or not scared the shit out of me.

Delia responded, "I'm sure that might be a part of it, but I think the intent was to get us all rings for our ring fingers. The other stuff is just extra for tonight to go with our dresses."

After washing up, I joined Delia and Claire in Silas's office. I scanned the entirety of the office, desperately scanning for his notebook, but to no avail. I even looked through a few drawers when the girls were too preoccupied with the jewelry on his desk. It dawned on me that he probably had it on his person, and my heart dropped to my stomach. I had run out of time and was now left with two options. Both were desperate at best. One, find the notebook at the party tonight while keeping my cover. Two, find the notebook at the party tonight while exposing myself. One thing was for certain. I would destroy the list tonight with the spell my sister had given me. I didn't have any other choice. I didn't have to be a witch to understand that.

I heard metal hit Silas's desk as Delia emptied out the contents of the velvet pouch in front of us. As Delia and Claire sifted through their favorite pieces. A chill went over me as I picked up was a ruby-encrusted ring and heard a terrifying shrill of a scream followed by a spray of gunshots and snarls. Then there was silence. I put the ring down back on the desk as I blankly stared at it in a dissociative state.