Ch. 33 - Pawns

A little more than a week had gone by since Delia and Claire had dropped me off after the traumatizing ordeal of selecting a dress. I'd spooked both of them and myself. Lucas would be coming home soon, and despite me combing over the pages of my mother's grimoire I couldn't find a spell to help me get rid or find the list that I had been tasked to find and destroy which was more than a little disconcerting.

I was still uncomfortable but able to move around much more easily which was lucky because today I had to go into the lion's den. Delia had invited me to a dinner with her and Silas. I was a little uncertain as to what to expect, but I knew it would be like tiptoeing around glass. When spending time at his home with Delia and then later Claire before I would barely see him if at all, but now I'd be spending an evening with him. I had to hope I had done enough to convince Silas that I wasn't a threat, but if I had to be honest with myself I had done a poor job of that lately. I wasn't sure where I stood with Delia anymore especially after what I had said to her a week before. I made her look because that was me being a true friend to her, but that might be to my detriment.

Delia had called earlier and said I could make a side if I wanted to. She'd be making the main course. I'd opted for some sautéed root vegetables while I sipped on some tea and sifted through the drawers looking for a container whilst transporting them. I decided to wear something quiet that would help me seem as unnoticeable as possible. Earth tones, a simple ponytail, and some basic flats should do the trick.

As my guard drove me to their house I took that time to compose myself and think about what I needed to accomplish. It was crunch time, and I had wasted so much of it already. If the opportunity presented itself I needed to look for the list. Silas was home and supposedly so would all of his stuff. Since Dalila had tried to steal the list at the packhouse he would keep it with him. Presumedly, it would be in his office if not physically on him. It could also be on his computer which if so would add another layer of complicated. The odds were not in my favor, but I was a witch, so maybe that could help me in some regard? The only question was how?

I was pulled out of my thought as the car stopped with a lurch, and I looked up to see Silas' house. I clutched my container of vegetables to my body and stepped out before walking past their armed guard in front of their house and knocked on the door. Delia answered the door in a tizzy looking all flustered. She had an apron on a lighter in hand.

"Hey! How are you?" she asked.

"I'm doing okay. Looks like you've been busy."

We walked back into the kitchen and she led me to the counter and as I placed my sautéed vegetables down Delia reached for the container to take it from me she paused and placed a hand over mine and drew closer to me.

"I'm sorry for how I reacted the other day. It's all so much, and I'm not as resilient as you are as much as I try."

Her breath hitched as she brought her hands to her head, "It's just really hard. You know?"

I wanted to wrap my arms around her and apologize for being so harsh to help comfort her but thought better of it. I had meant what I said to her. I had nothing to apologize for and neither did she. I've been through hell and God only knows what she has been through being mates with Silas.

"There is nothing to apologize for as long as you're doing your best."

I had more riding on me doing my best though. The weight was heavy, and I didn't even fully comprehend what was at stake yet.

She nodded giving me a sad little smile, and I mirrored hers back.

Silas walked in with a pitcher full of freshly brewed tea and Delia's whole attitude shifted the mood into a certain brightness that I couldn't quite decipher that enveloped the room.