Ch. 36 The Ceremony

TW 

Yikes crispies

CONSENT - Reminder - consent is not always sexual in nature.

{The book is pretty much about that, though. Just overall dark as shit? Idk; help me out... I personally will be putting a detailed TW at the beginning of the book when I have it finished. But truly heed my trigger warnings and other authors seriously. Also, due to the sporadic nature of my publishing this novel, maybe re-evaluate if you can read this right now. I know I did when I was writing it. There is a reason why this chapter took so long for me to write. The next will be just as difficult.}

We all looked like the perfect couples, champagne glasses in hand- except I noticed Delia's was just for show. Silas downed her's for her confirming my suspicion that had been ever-growing over the past few hours.

We presented a united front to the nameless alphas, betas, and gammas that swarmed us for introductions. It wasn't until Dr. Marissa Neil came up to Lucas and me that I was able to be pulled out of my stupor.

She embraced me and whispered into my ear, "Stay strong tonight."

"Thank you," I muttered before looking up at the man next to her.

"This is my partner, Wren. He's a doctor like me, but he is usually at the front in charge of other doctors or medics.

"It's nice to meet you. In another life, I hoped to be a healer too."

Lucas grabbed my waist, gently pulling me to him as the music shifted.

Marissa's eye's lit up at the music, "This is exactly what I needed tonight. Let's dance."

Lucas chimed in, "Yes, let's." dragging me with him."

I chugged the rest of my glass of champagne before setting it quickly on the first surface I could find before we reached the small dance floor.

"You might want to go lighter on the booze tonight."

His expression looked like he wanted to respond, but rather he inclined his head towards someone behind me and began making small talk with a couple to our left. I politely nodded and gave them a soft smile. The curvy brunette gave me a tight, ingenue smile as she waved back and forth with her partner.

As the song drifted into something slower and his arms drifted to my hips as he whispered into my ear," Put your arms around my neck."

"I wasn't reprimanding you." He said reassuringly, but he didn't say anything else for a long while as we slow danced together. He was warm, and his body felt nice pressed up against mine. A part of me wished I could enjoy this- give in and forget about the world- but if I did, it would kill me. I almost said just that, but Lucas broke our silence.

"I've had time to think about us while I've been away."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "About us?"

"In another life, I think we could have been happy - you may have been able to love me."

He paused.

"But in this one, all we can hope for is to survive."

Suddenly, he stopped dancing and held me closer, if that was even possible, putting his lips to my ear.

"I need you to go home. Pretend you aren't feeling well. - Be convincing."

'Something was wrong.'

The nervous energy I had felt before morphed into a sinking feeling that dropped to my stomach.

'What did he know?'