Ch. 34 - Movie Night

Lucas held me close to his body throughout the night. It took me what felt like a few hours to fall asleep after the everything that I had been through during the duration of the day before. He didn't sleep well either. Despite everything I held on to the happy thought that I had a niece, and although I had lost my mother and father I still had family. Charlotte as harsh as she was with me meant well, and she cared about me enough to help me in my mission. Before drifting off to sleep I felt solace in the fact that the witches had given me a choice. I fiddled with my ring remembering what the Rectrix had told me.

'Twist your ring six times and we will get you out within forty-eight hours when the mission is complete or you need out. Twist your ring three times and you will be out within minutes just stay alive until we can get to you.'

There was a part of me that trusted the Rectrix, and I wasn't sure why. Perhaps it was an instinctual thing as a witch? I could already see that there would be a lot of politics to deal with if I ever got out of this mess and into theirs that's if I made it long enough to see what their world was like.

It was midday before we got out of bed.

"We're spending the day together."

"Oh really?" I asked.

"Yes. Silas gave me the day off to spend some quality time with you and regroup. We can relax. Maybe watch a movie together tonight?"

I nodded.

"I do have to do some paper work this morning but we can still spend some time together while I'm doing that."

We ate breakfast together in the living room. I opted for coffee instead of tea as I was needing a boost of energy as I felt rather lethargic from Lucas tossing and turning all night. I nibbled on a piece of toast while lounging on a plush armchair as he typed away at his computer and I read a book.

As I looked over at him I saw his tan skin had leathered and had a permanent wrinkle indented into his forehead indicating his age at least ten years my senior. It's not something I had noticed before.

It wasn't until late afternoon that he was done with his paperwork. I assumed that he was doing a follow up briefing of some sort from his visit to the front.

As I was boiling water in the kettle for my third cup of tea he put his arms around me in a bear hug startling me and said, "I finally finished. Sorry, that took so long."

"You were working. And we did after all spend the day together."

He grabbed a glass from the cabinet and filled it up with water before taking a sip.

"I'm going to order pizza for tonight. Does that sound good?" he asked.

"I didn't know we still had that."

"Yeah, we do in some parts. It's a local pizza joint. They don't usually deliver, but they will if I ask." he said happily.

Internally, I rolled my eyes at that comment and faked a smile.

When the pizza arrived he took the cardboard box upstairs along with three bottles of wine.

'He must have had a stressful two weeks. Me too bud.'

"Why don't we choose something light and funny?" he recommended.

He reached for Happy Gilmore and I grimaced. I hadn't watched a movie in years and would not be letting him waste the last opportunity I had to watch a film on the likes of an Adam Sandler movie.

"No. I want to choose."

I scanned the array of DVDs and my eyes landed on the movies Atonement and Never Let Me Go. These must-have belonged to his mother because God knows he didn't have good taste.