Ch. 14 - Lucas

With the absence of Delia, Lucas and I stood in deafening silence with an air of stifling unease. I noticed out of the corner of my eye multiple brown paper bags that were full to the brim with fresh produce and other miscellaneous groceries by his feet. Did those come from an actual grocery store, I wondered?

 After a pause, I asked, "Do you know where my belongings are?" as I fidgeted with the tightly secured tracking bracelet on my wrist. 

He had begun to unload the copious amount of food out of the bags and place them onto the countertop before he turned around and looked at me and responded, saying, "Your watch is being repaired, but everything else is in my office. I'll give them to you after we get home from dinner."

He seemed happily surprised that I had initiated a conversation with him. Attempting to keep the conversation going, he said, "Speaking of dinner, we've got a small get together at the packhouse tonight that we have to attend so that the Gammas can meet you and the Alpha's new mate. We are bringing a small dish."

I looked at the ingredients and tried to piece together what he could be making. Sprawled about were carrots, broccoli, potatoes, and a can of cream of mushrooms. He walked over and opened the refrigerator and pulled out a bowl of defrosting beef. Based on my analysis, he was going to be making a roast of some kind. It dawned on me that he may want me to help him cook, but I would offer none. He asked me if I wanted a snack, but honestly, I had no appetite and the thought of eating something that he made disgusted me.

I didn't want to sit at the island because that would leave me too close in proximity to him. So instead, I chose the small dining table across from the kitchen next to the window. I placed my hand on the cold glass of the window and propped it open, breathing in the cold air into my lungs. We were still able to see the other and were in talking distance. I didn't want to piss him off, but I also didn't want to give him the impression that I was at all happy with the situation. I heard chopping of vegetables and commotion from him preparing the food while I escaped into the solace of my head as I looked at the foliage outside. There was only one small struggling rosemary plant by the fence that I could locate throughout the backyard. I missed my garden and my grandfather. As limited and straightforward as my life was, I missed it.

 I don't know how long I had been in my head before I was interrupted by Lucas when I noticed he had been trying to get my attention as I looked at him, and he said, "I know this is all very new to you. But this transition time for you will eventually end, and all will become normal. I promise."

I internally promised him and myself that this would never become normal. He had finished chopping all of the vegetables and seasoning the meat before placing them into a crockpot and setting the timer for four hours before he asked, "Do you want to go outside and explore? We have a little bit of time to burn."

I nodded yes, and he began to head upstairs, leaving me alone. I would need to pay attention and see if I could find an escape route. 

Plus, I needed to stretch my legs.

I deeply inhaled and relished in a brief period of being alone before I head him coming down the stairs. He had a sweater in his hands for me. Before I could protest, he said, "You don't have to wear this. I'm just bringing it just in case. You do have to wear your shoes, though."

Patronizing ass.

I pursed my lips, not liking him telling me what to do and stood up, following him to the door before slipping my shoes on.

He started taking off his clothes and I abruptly turned around facing the opposite direction from him before raising my voice asking, "What are you doing?"

 He responded back to me by chuckling, "Well, I assumed you wanted some space but I'm not just going to let you go so I'll tail you in my wolf form. You don't seem very conversational right now, which I'm okay with I just want to be with you."

No shit.

Suddenly, a terrible snapping noise permeated through my ears, and as suddenly as it began, it stopped. The same large, black wolf I had seen before nuzzled it's head into my hand before I jumped away from him. The werewolf tilted his head, and I saw that he had my sweater in his mouth.

After about thirty minutes of walking and trying to memorize the way from the backyard into the forest, I had begun to get dizzy. My gait changed from slow to staggering until I tripped and skinned my knee. I should have realized I wasn't well enough recovered to go out this far. Lucas, still in wolf form, licked my wound, and somehow it stopped the bleeding. I had heard that their saliva had healing properties. My superficial injury was more painful than anything. I'd be fine; however, walking back would prove difficult. Lucas looked concerned, and I could tell he was asking if I needed any help. I didn't. I pushed myself off the ground and did my best to remember the way back. I only got lost once, and Lucas redirected me to the correct path. Finally, seeing a familiar small fence, I sighed in relief. 

Lucas now in human form and clothed he tried to help me inside, but I brushed him off and laid down on the couch, exhausted in the open living room adjacent to the kitchen. I could hear him rustling in the cabinet for something, probably medical supplies. He came back to me and started cleaning my wounds as I hissed in pain as the harsh chemical made contact with my skin. 

He laughed a little as he said, "I don't know how, but you managed to fall like that and not ruin your dress."

Finishing up, he applied a bandaid and continued saying, "Why don't you take it easy till dinner. We've got two hours or so until we leave, so you rest up, and I'm going to catch up on some work and shower. As much as I'm sure you'd love to spend more time with me, the pack has had a crazy start to the week. We've captured a witch. I'll tell you more about it later. Not now."

A witch? Honestly, at this point as far fetched as that sounded I'd believe almost anything, but at the moment I didn't care. I just wanted a nap. I was beyond tired. My whole body was angry at me. I'd have to prepare myself to be ready for dinner tonight. I had no idea what I was going to walk in to.