35

-

-

"you better not be peeking," ricky said looking over to the passenger seat next to him where nina sat with her eyes closed.

"i'm about to fall asleep bowen, this better be worth it."

"it is. trust me."

"can you tell me where we're going? please?" she pleaded as she felt the small bumps on the road.

"i told you, you'll find out when we get there."

"why are you smiling so big?" she questioned.

"how would you know that? nini, do you have your eyes open?" he looked back at her.

"ricky, stop asking, i don't. i can hear your smile through your voice," she replied to him in an almost annoyed tone.

"right," he was slightly unconvinced. "we're almost there."

"i'm nervous!" she stomped with her feet lightly. "can i get any hints at all? pleaseeeee?"

"hmm... no."

"come on, we've been driving for what feels like forever. it's probably dark outside now."

"it's dusk."

"so dark."

"no neens, there's still light. we came just in time for the sunset."

she felt the car stop moving and ricky turn the ignition of the car off. she heard the sound of his seat belt unbuckling, but nothing else.

"we're here!" he exclaimed. "open your eyes, i'll race you to the middle."

"what?" she asked, her eyes still closed.

"hurry!"

the driver side door opened and closed quickly but nina was still edgy towards opening her eyes. after a couple seconds she finally did and took a minute for her eyes to adjust to the light.

she looked up in front of her and saw ricky running further away from her. she unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car, staying in one spot to take in the beauty of it all.

it was a field.

she took in the gravel underneath her feet, but two steps away became grass, tall weeds, and flowers. the silhouette of mountains was visible in the distance and all she could say was, "wow."

"nini!" she heard ricky yell. it was quiet due to the distance but still loud enough for her to hear.

she looked at him and saw his hand up in the air, waving for her to come over. she jogged towards him and they just stood amongst the weeds and flowers, in awe.

"haven't been back here in a while," he chuckled, looking into the distance.

"why not?"

"didn't feel right," he looked down at her, connecting their eyes.