40

overwhelm.

"when confronted with being overwhelmed, it can be difficult to think and act rationally, and even function in a normal way."

"by definition being emotionally overwhelmed means to be completely submerged by your thoughts and emotions about all of life's current problems, to the point where you lack efficacy and feel frozen or paralyzed."

-

"hi do you know where... richard bowen is?"

"i'm guessing you're nina? i'm him, and you're late."

"ricky, you know we have to like... talk right?"

"what about fireflies?"

"why do you hate me?"

"i don't hate you. i just don't like letting people in."

"shut up nini, of course i laugh."

"nini?"

"oh sorry... i could stop if you want."

"no, it's okay. i like it."

"the view looked nice, sue me."

"ricky... we can't."

"remind me again why you signed me up to sing?"

"because, ricky bowen, your voice is one of a kind."

"i was just scared."

"you don't have to be scared with me."

"i really like him.

"then go for it."

"would you, ricky bowen, like to be my boyfriend?"

"yes, nina salazar-roberts, i would love to be your boyfriend."

"thank you for everything. for making me feel like i'm worth something more than what i've been making life out to be."

"nini, wake up. it's okay. i'm right here, i'm never going to leave you."

-

"hey, do you remember me?"

nina heard the steady voice of a man ring louder than the million and one voices in her head that replied over and over again like she was in a cave with a never ending echo.

"nini."

she saw a whole group of people hovering over her as she sat up on a porch to what she made out was in a backyard. she directed her attention to the man who was speaking to her, "you-you're ricky bowen."

he smiled with a sigh of relief. "yes, i'm ricky bowen."

"i'm nina salazar-roberts," she continued, "we're engaged."

"as of 10 minutes ago, yes, yes we are," he managed to make a joke. "i'm glad you remember, i thought mayb-"

"and you hated me," she went on.

"what? nini, i never-"

"when we met. you hated me."

"no? i was just in shock. neens, just cause i wasn't talking doesn't mean-"

"then we worked on that project, and- and you helped me find the cruz's."

"what?"

"the fireflies."