14

ricky got off the elevator and made his way to the same conference room where his meetings were normally held. he started walking at a slower pace when he saw nina standing outside the door, knocking.

usually the door was always unlocked if the meeting had not already started. as he walked closer he saw that the lights were also shut off, which only brought him deeper into a confused hole.

he felt his phone buzz in his hand and he looked down quickly to see the text notification from luke. he stayed in one spot as he read the text, releasing a breath.

"guessing you just got the text too?"

ricky lifted his head at the girl's voice and saw that she had her head turned to him and her phone in front of her.

he nodded as he shut his phone off and put it in his front jean pocket.

"does he always cancel meetings five minutes before they start?" she asked in a sarcastic tone, walking up to him.

"oh, all the time," he replied, giving the same energy, "i'm surprised he didn't do it on our first meeting."

she let out a chuckle at his response.

"no, he never does this," he said once he realized his joke passed nina's standards.

"something must be up."

"yea, but trust me, you do not want to meddle in his personal life. one time, he was off and i asked what was wrong, and he just went off then broke down crying cause his dog ran away."

"oh wow."

"yea, very sensitive, that man."

"i mean, pretty valid if you ask me; one time- well i don't remember but i've been told that one time i made a friend in the park with someone's dog and when i had to go home i cried for days."

"must have been one special dog."

"i assume so," she smiled. "so... got any back up plans?"

"nope," he shook his head, "i was really excited to go to this meeting," he joked, making her chuckle. "what about you?"

she shook her head, "ashlyn's already got plans with big red and carlos, i don't want to intrude."

"what about um... your- ej," he struggled to say.

"he left early this morning, his parents wanted him home in time to do a couple things before new years."

"oh," he responded, "that's nice."

"yea. hey, we should do something!" she suggested.

"what?"

"we could just get coffee and talk or something. i want to get to know richard bowen." she said dramatically.

"my life is pretty boring," he smiled in response.

"i'm sure it's not, you went to east high, right? that must've been an experience."

"i guess."

"cmon, what do you say?" she asked, waiting impatiently for an answer.

"why not," he breathed out as he saw her pleading face.

"great, let's go!" she grinned then pulled his arm in the direction of the elevator, making him roll his eyes playfully.

"neens, you're hurting my arm," he stifled a laugh.

she stopped as they both went into the elevator, looking up at him with a face that made it clear she was thinking.

"what?" he asked as he noticed her expression.