6 - Home

I open my door excitedly to my drab little apartment. Throwing my stuff on the wornout armchair and falling onto my deep blue couch. A very excited doggy leaps from behind it. Knocking the air out of my lungs as her paws land on my stomach. I yell out from the short pain but laugh as the culprit apologies with wet kisses on my face.

“Hey Sagwa! You have a good day today? Cause I had a good day today! Yes I did!” I excitedly say in a baby voice. I portray my day to my listening buddy. Stroking her soft short fur as she lays half on top of me and half on the edge of the couch.

I sit up and fish for my phone from my purse checking the time; 4:20. Seeing as it was a day to celebrate, what better way than to visit Halmeoni? My apartment’s simple design with a color palette of blue. It's nice but always has a lonely vibe to it. The only real stand out feature is the apple themed dog items.

Decision made, I grab my favorite discolored bucket hat, a black mask and of course the all important dog leash and harness. Sagwa dances at my feet, tongue out and happily yipping at me. Encouraging me to move faster: “You ready to see Halmeoni?” Holding her harness out for her “Get ready,” I used one of her many commands taught to her and me by our dog trainer a while ago. She steps into it perfectly and waits for me to buckle the straps “Ok let’s go!”

~~~

     Arriving I let her run free through the flowers and make my way to the little cafe in the back corner. This cafe has always been more of a home than anywhere else in my life. “Halmeoniiiii! I have some good news!” I yell to the back and sit on my usual bar stool.

“Hanuel? I will be out in a moment! No son you need…” her voice fades out.

 A rustling of pages is the only thing that brings attention to Mr. Lee sitting in his armchair “Hello Mr.Lee, what are you reading today?” 

He finishes his page and looks over the top of the book “Sonagi.”

“Oh I’ve read that before. It’s a short romance story right?”

“Yes. I thought I should get acquainted with it again.” He looks back to his book, continuing to read. Lee Joe-ssi or Mr. Lee, as he prefers to be called, is a man of few words and many years of experience. Being half British and Half Korean he has seen and done a lot in his life. He is very quite opposed to his very loud and very proud wife but I love him as if he was my own halabeoji. He shares all his books with me, and I have gone to many book concerts with him.

“When is the next book concert by the way?”

He turns a page very delicately “I don’t know. There aren’t any good ones at the moment.”

Before I can say anymore a fluffy cat flies into the room followed by Sagwa. The cat jumps to the armchair and hisses. Sagwa just sits at the base and pants, looking very proud of herself. Mr. Lee places the cat, his cat Mugunghwa, on the top head rest of the tall chair. Her favorite place to hide from my dog who just won’t ever get the clue to leave the poor kitty alone. 

Sagwa begins barking and dancing around me watching Mugunghwa’s every move. Cat screams and dog barks attract the attention of everyone in the cafe “What is going on out here?” Halmeoni says which makes Sagwa forget all about the cat and run to her.

“She’s chasing Mugunghwa again,” I say.

“You need to quit that! She’s old and grumpy. Not someone you want to play with,” She smooths her fur down. “But I know who does. Son, bring Mickey out here.”

“Ok Mrs-, I mean Halmeoni.” I know that voice. He's here? Again? The back door swings open revealing a not so red headed idol. “Mickey your friend is here!” He sets the dog down and like there were rocket boosters attached to all eight of their paws the two dogs shoot out the door and into the park.