14 - Moving

Sitting in front of the TV in my apartment I'm curled up with a blanket and Sagwa. Watching 'Cake Wars' reruns in the dark, eating potato chips by the bag full, and drinking way too much wine. I'm not sure what day it is. I think Monday? Or it could be Tuesday. I don't really care. No company building to go to, no practice room, and no stages scheduled so what's the point. The only real activity I get is my walks with Sagwa.

She shakes her head and lets it fall back on my lap. I pet my thumb on her face between her eyes. Her favorite place and my comfort pet. She's peaceful in my lap but wiggles around restlessly. She's not used to this couch potato lifestyle... and really neither am I. We have always been active together running up and down long hallways, getting into everything, and bugging everyone. That was when we lived in the country, before we moved to the big city.

A knock comes from the door causing us to jump. I'm not expecting anyone.

I go to answer it but first peeking through the peephole in the door. Only a hallway that has sunshine is flooding it and the door across from mine. I guess it's day time; wouldn't have guessed that. Shrugging it off and seeing no one I step away from the door. Only to have more knocking coming from the door, more frantic this time.

I unlatch the deadbolt but keep the chain locked, only cracking the door as much as it allows, "Hello?"

"Haneul? Oh thank god you're in there. I couldn't reach you on your phone, did you turn it off? Halmeoni and I haven't seen you all week! We were getting-," my manager straightens up from her previous crouching position "-worried. Well at least you have the doors locked but let me in. We have a lot to talk about."

I nod my head shutting the door to release the lock then opening it again to let her in. I step behind the door so the bright afternoon sunlight doesn't go in my eyes.

"OMG it is so dark in here? Why are your curtains drawn? When did you get blackout curtains anyway?" She stepps to the windows and flings them open. Why does everyone do that?

Scrunching my face tight I try to adjust to the new light level, "Oww."

SeoYeon runs to me and gives me a big hug, "I'm so sorry I couldn't find one sooner. I was so worried about you!"

Her hug is so tight that I feel my insides almost squish together. Though I don't complain I missed her much more then I realised as I hugged her back just as hard.

An even tighter squeeze from her then she pushes me apart with her hands on my shoulders and a smile on her face. It's a happy smile but I can see the sadness that lingers in the depths and the tired bags under her eyes, "Ok so I found us a new place to practice. I can rent a room from a friend of mine that has his own studio for a cheap price. He owes me a favor. And I got us an interview with a small time fansite. Did a lot of background checking on her and if any questions go sideways we will be leaving immediately."

Pacing and talking super fast with her hands she explains how a bunch of different people owe her favors that she is now beginning to cash-in for me.

I take a seat on the couch and watch her, "Now it is a small staff now. A bunch of people qu-" pausing mid step and whipping her head at me "-had to be let go." She tries to correct herself but I know that a lot of people quit because of the accusations.

Most of them knew it was all lies but didn't want to risk being associated with someone in a scam as big as this and... I honestly didn't blame them, "I'm sorry."

"No, no, no, don't be Han! We didn't need them anyway," she sits beside me on the couch and holds my hand. "But you know who stayed? Your dance teacher. And I have a suspicion it wasn't just about him knowing the truth," she winks with a smile.