𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟻: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙱𝚢𝚎𝚛𝚜

"Before I can begin, I first need to tell you the story of how I came to Earth," Diane started, pushing her legs out beneath her and letting the billowing grass wrap around her feet

"Before I can begin, I first need to tell you the story of how I came to Earth," Diane started, pushing her legs out beneath her and letting the billowing grass wrap around her feet. Sarah remained in her fetal position, but she tilted her head slightly so that she could hear better. The soft splashes of the waterfall behind them set a rhythm to Diane's words that Sarah quickly became lost in.

"We first learned of Earth when a nine-year old Helian named Terry went missing in 1960," Diane continued.

"Terry?" Sarah asked, the familiarity of the name straightening her spine.

"Yes," Diane answered. "You don't know her, but you know of her. She's Eleven's mother."

Terry Ives. Eleven had told Sarah some of what had happened to her mother. She had volunteered for an experiment led by Dr. Brenner and had ended up pregnant with Eleven in the process. When Eleven was taken from her after her birth, Terry was tortured by Dr. Brenner after trying to get her back. Unfortunately, she was too far gone for Eleven to stay with her. It was a sad story that sent pangs through Sarah's heart every time she heard it.

"We searched for her for several months when we found a rift opened between Helia and Earth," Diane explained. "Being a child, her curiosity must have gotten the better of her and she slipped through. Unfortunately, the rift closed shortly after we discovered it so we were unable to follow her to the exact location that it had taken her. Through our own rifts, we tried to continue searching for her on Earth, but the dimension was too big and we knew too little about it."

"Couldn't you see where she was with your abilities?" Sarah asked.

Diane solemnly shook her head no. "I can only see the outcomes of my own choices. I can see the possibilities of your future because having you was a choice I made. None of the options possible to me led to me finding Terry, so I could never see where she was."

Sarah tried to wrap her head around Diane's response but her forehead started to throb and she quickly gave up on ever truly understanding her mother's abilities.