𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟻: 𝚃𝚠𝚘

A loud chime rang through a small beige split-level house in the city of Noblesville, Indiana

A loud chime rang through a small beige split-level house in the city of Noblesville, Indiana. A man and a woman stood waiting on the other side of the door, their shoulders squared and their hands folded in front of them. Their clothes were neatly pressed and their shoes were freshly polished; the man with slick, brown hair, and the woman with limp blonde hair that hung to her chin.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Singer," the woman who opened the door greeted them with a warm smile. "Please, come inside. She's very eager to meet you!"

"Thank you," Mr. Singer replied, though this was not his real name. Nor was Mrs. Singer's the woman's.

Mr. and Mrs. Singer followed the woman through the door and into the living room, careful to step over the various toys that were scattered across the stained carpet. The woman directed them to a saggy maroon couch where they slowly sat after inspecting the surface.

"Sorry," the woman apologized. "The kids aren't always the best about picking up after themselves."

"How many do you currently have in your care?" Mrs. Singer asked, a fake smile plastered to her cheeks.

"Right now, there's four foster children living here," the woman answered. "Ranging in ages from five to fifteen. Plus my two children, who are ten and twelve."

"Oh," Mrs. Singer said with raised brows. "How delightful."

"Yes, some days are more difficult than others but it truly is a blessing!"

A silence filled the room and Mr. Singer cleared his throat to break it.

"She seems to be a little pokey today, I'll go check to see if she's ready." A jolt ran through the woman as she rushed out of the living room. "Quinn, dear!" she called up the stairs. "Your adoptive parents are here, come down and meet them!"

A six-year old girl appeared at the top of the stairs, her curly, dark hair pulled into two tight buns atop her head. Her little hands gripped the hem of her pink corduroy dress, her brown eyes glistening with fresh tears. "I don't wanna go," she said quietly. "I don't like these people. They're bad people."