𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟹: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙷𝚘𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜

"Last one, you ready?" Amelia asked, looking to Sarah for confirmation as they stood facing a blank wall in Diane's office

"I'm ready," Sarah responded, meeting Amelia's eyes with a look of determination and nodding her head. She glanced over her shoulder to Daniel and her other two teammates who had taken Sam's and Hazel's spots, awaiting their signal. Once they each nodded their heads, Sarah faced back forward.

"Best of luck," Diane called from behind them, a warm smile spread across her cheeks.

"You will all do great," Adam added from where he stood beside Diane.

With their words, Sarah focused on a scratch in the paint and envisioned the holographic picture that her mother had shown her only moments ago. A whirring portal stretched open before them, encapsulating the team as they stepped through one-by-one.

Sarah went through the portal last, taking time to prepare herself for the destination on the other side. This mission, their last mission, brought her to a place she hadn't seen in a long time: New York City.

A large park met them on the other side, the trees only partially blocking out the hustle and bustle of city life beyond its edges. A sparse number of people milled about, leisurely passing them by without even noticing that a group of five people had just appeared from out of nowhere. Their tunnel vision kept them focused on the mundane lives they were stuck in, not knowing or caring that their world was so much bigger than they could imagine.

Sarah only barely remembered the life she had had here once upon a time; before the Lab, before the Upside Down, before the Diagonal...So, so long ago. It wasn't Hawkins, but it still had a sense of familiarity that brought a smile to her face.

"It's this way," Daniel announced, pointing towards a small, unkempt path that disappeared into the trees.

"How do you know it's the creature and not another person?" Rachel, one of the newer team members, asked.

After Sam and Hazel had passed, the team experienced a few changes throughout the years. Team members came and went, either of their own accord or something else's, but the core members remained the same: Sarah, Amelia, and Daniel.