𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟸: 𝚁𝚘𝚜𝚎

"Dad, come in

"Dad, come in. What's your location? Over," Sarah said into the walkie-talkie held tightly in her grip, her eyes scanning the darkness before her. They were back at the cabin, or rather near the cabin, fanned out around the perimeter of the fog to determine how far it reached. Dustin, Mike, Lucas, and Max had met them there, armed with their own walkies and weapons. Nancy and Jonathan joined the group after dropping Barb off with Karen and Ted. They had decided to leave a still-unconscious Mark at the Byers' where he'd be safer.  

"I'm about half a mile west of the cabin. Over," Hopper's crackly voice responded. 

"It's about half a mile from the north, but it looks like it's expanding. Over," Sarah responded. "Steve and Quinn, come in. What's it looking like on the east and south side? Over."

"Closer to three-quarters of a mile on the east. Over," Steve answered. 

"Same on the south. Over," Quinn added.

Sarah sighed in frustration. It was worse than she had been anticipating and it seemed to be growing at a rapid pace. She took a step backwards as tendrils of fog curled out from the mass of darkness, attempting to pull her in. 

Sarah pushed down on the talk button and waited for the beep to signify that it was time to speak. "Has anyone seen or heard anything? Over."

"There's something on the northeast side," Joyce answered. "Heard a howl about fifty feet in. Over."

"Remember, the second you see anything, walkie me and I'll portal to you. Over," Sarah reminded the group. She felt anxious having everyone separated but this was the only way to quickly assess the problem at hand.

"You worry too much," James chuckled, shrugging his hands into his pants pockets.

"I thought I told you to go away," Sarah replied, not even bothering to glance at him. Ever since she had made him visible to the others by controlling reality, she had been having a hard time getting rid of him. 

"But it's so much fun out here!" 

"If you're not going to leave me alone then at least make yourself useful," Sarah replied, her eyes still scanning the swirling fog for any shapes that indicated a threat. "Go scout out the perimeter up ahead."