𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹𝟸: 𝙳𝚒𝚊𝚗𝚎

"You look lost

"You look lost."

"I'm sorry?" Diane asked, pulling her hand away from where it had been glued to her mouth and pushing herself off the side of her desk where she had been leaning. Adam stood in the doorway to her office, his arms crossed over his chest and a knowing look on his face.

"Lost in thought, I mean," Adam clarified. He took a couple careful steps closer, studying Diane's eyes in an attempt to surmise what was going on behind them. Diane had always been a tough person to read but in their long friendship, Adam thought that he had gotten close to cracking the code. In this moment, however, it felt like he was starting all over.

Diane sniffed. "Almost the complete opposite, actually," she replied with a smile, but the smile was hollow; empty. "For once it's very quiet in my head and I think I almost miss the chaos."

Adam nodded his head, his eyes glancing around the cavernous room. He wondered, not for the first time, how such a large space could feel so suffocating. The weight of leading Helia was a heavy one and one that he tried his hardest to help Diane bear, but it was hard to hold up his half when Diane refused to share exactly what it was that she was carrying.

"It's been a long, long path but we're almost to the end," Diane said, more to herself than to him. The words hung in the air long after they were spoken.

"You've said that before but you won't tell me what's at the end."

Diane's eyes lit up for a split second, signaling that the words she was about to say were the very thing that had been keeping her going. "The beginning."

Adam scowled, his brows knotted and his lips parted as he fought the urge to ask for an explanation. Even if he asked, he knew that she wouldn't answer. He'd asked before. But mostly, he was concerned. Diane had begun to look...older wasn't the right word, but closer; to what, he couldn't say nor wanted to, but her strength was weakening, her vibrance dulling, her spark fading...And she wasn't the only one. He could feel it too.

Diane pressed her blue eyes shut, inhaling through her nose. When she opened them again, they were nearly gray. "It's time."

☆ ★ ☆