Prologue

The wind was howling in Regulus's ears as he Apparated near the Shrieking Shack. It was raining heavily and Regulus was panting, completely drenched, his dark hair plastered to his face, as a voice asked, "So, tell me, Regulus." It said. "What message does Lord Voldemort have for me?" Regulus looked at Dumbledore in astonishment. Did that complete buffoon- mind your language, Regulus. Remember what you are here for. "The Dark Lord?" He said, barking out a laugh. "No. I am here of my own volition. The Dark Lord has no idea that I am here." That got Dumbledore's attention. He turned around to face Regulus. "What can a Death Eater want from me?" Regulus winced inside as Dumbledore used the term Death Eater. "Some information on The Dark Lord. You, Dumbledore, may not believe me, but I don't want to be a Death Eater anymore." Dumbledore raised an eyebrow. "What can make the most devout follower of Voldemort change his mind?"

Regulus hesitated. This was dangerous territory. He didn't trust Dumbledore to tell him all the things he had done, Voldemort had done. "Voldemort's ideals are evil. And I don't believe in them anymore." He said, carefully skirting around the truth. Dumbledore looked at him for a long moment. "So," Dumbledore said finally, "you want to leave Voldemort and come to my side?" He questioned. Regulus felt a grin forming on his face. "Well, not exactly like that. I was thinking I could be loyal to you, but also 'a spy to him'. A spy for you, Dumbledore." There was silence for a moment, the only sound being the rain beating on their faces. "Well." Dumbledore said, breaking the ice after a minute of silence. "A spy for me, you say?" Regulus nodded, a little apprehensive now. If Dumbledore agreed, then all would be good. But if he didn't, if he felt that this was a trick, then he might be nowhere.

"I can see why you are Sirius's brother." Dumbledore smiled. Regulus felt some small amount of irritation and he bristled. He didn't want to be like Sirius. He wanted to be the good brother. A good influence on others. That's going well, he thought to himself sarcastically.

Dumbledore was looking off into the distance, thinking. Regulus nervously fidgeted, shuffling his legs. After what felt like ages, when Regulus was losing hope and about to Dissapparate, Dumbledore finally spoke. "That's settled, then. You can be a spy for me.". Regulus exhaled a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"But, there is only one problem." Dumbledore mused. "Everybody at Hogwarts knows you as a Death Eater." Regulus almost shook his head at the stupidity of the man. "You, Dumbledore, are known for seeing the good in people. You saw the good in S.." he trailed off, then continued, "Convince your staff. They'll listen to you." Dumbledore pondered over that for a moment, then replied, "You are right, Regulus. And we are in desperate need of a Potions Master." Regulus said, "Well, then you should welcome Professor Black as your next potions Master." Dumbledore nodded. "Give me your word, Regulus." Regulus looked at Dumbledore. "I'm sorry?"

"Your word," Dumbledore explained, "That you'll never reveal the terms of this condition to anyone." Honestly, Regulus thought. "I give my word, Dumbledore." Dumbledore beamed. "Let's shake hands on it." You are so old fashioned, Dumbledore. Who even shakes hands anymore? Regulus thought, as he reached out to shake Dumbledore's hand.

And just as he did that, he felt it. Felt that his new life had started, one in which he gave good to the world and overthrew Voldemort.

A/N: This chapter was very short, I know. The others will be slightly longer, I promise. (I don't know if that's a good thing or not TBH.) Anyways, this is just the beginning!!