ChapterTheSecond: Damn, the Diary is a Horcrux

A/N: There will be slight changes in the timeline and dialogues. But the thing to look forward to in this chapter: Regulus spitting out his tea!

            The Beginning of another year

Regulus was sitting in his office, with a cup of tea in front of him, completely bored and not wanting to attend the Feast at all. When he had taken up this job, he thought it would be at least a little interesting. But no! It was exactly like when he was at Hogwarts. But he had hope. Maybe by the end of this year, Dumbledore would tell him the plan. Fat chance. But something interesting did happen.

The door of his office banged open and Filch came in. He looked very pleased and when Filch looked pleased, that wasn't a very good sign. "Good God, Filch." Regulus asked, sipping his tea. "What happened?" Filch cackled and Regulus felt a chill go down his spine. Was it that bad? Filch threw down a copy of The Daily Prophet. The headlines flashed:

                                           Flying car spotted by Muggles

Regulus raised his brows. "What's it got to do with me?" "Well, sir, the students flying this car were of Hogwarts." Not understanding what Filch wanted of him, Regulus asked, "And you want me to..?" "Sir, Slytherins are known for their cruelty." Regulus bristled. That's not all true, Filch. "Ok. I'll see. Bring them in." Filch nodded and shuffled out. Regulus figured that the students were some feisty Ravenclaws.

But the students who entered made him spit out his tea on the table. Regulus swore. "Merlin's beard. Potter and Weasley?" Weasley looked amused. "Yes, professor." Harry, on the other hand, looked nervous. "What did you two do?" Regulus asked. Nobody said anything. Regulus pointed at The Prophet. "That's you, isn't it?" Harry finally spoke. "Yes, Professor." Despite the situation, Regulus began to laugh. Weasley asked hesitantly, "Professor?" After nearly a minute of laughing, Regulus said, "Why? Why did you do that? You are very like your father, you know that?" Harry looked taken aback. "You know, I hope, that millions of people saw you? Muggles?" Both of them nodded. Just at that moment, the door to his office opened for the third time. Dumbledore and McGonagall entered.

"Well, Regulus, I heard the story from Filch." Dumbledore said, without any preamble. Regulus waited as McGonagall continued, "Well, it's true, then, is it?" However McGonagall posed it, it wasn't a question. "We'd better go pack our bags, then." Weasley said. "What on earth are you talking about, Weasley?" Weasley explained, "Well, we are going to get expelled, aren't we?" "Not today, you aren't." McGonagall said kindly. "Now, the Feast is almost over, so would you like to have some sandwiches brought up here?" Both of them nodded mutely. Dumbledore beckoned Regulus outside.

Outside

"What happened?" Dumbledore asked. "What happened?" Regulus repeated. "Nothing happened. They did a daring task which proves Harry is like James after all." "Is that all?" Dumbledore asked. "Yes, it is." Regulus said, a little defensively. What is Dumbledore getting at? Dumbledore peered at him through the top of his half moon glasses. "All right, then." Saying just that, Dumbledore turned and walked away. What in Merlin's name was that?

The Potions Distraction

Regulus drummed his fingers on the table, waiting for the others to file in. After waiting for nearly a minute, he started the class. "All right, students! Turn to page 15 of your book. There's a recipe there for the Swelling Solution we'll be making today." There was some noise as the students turned to page 15. During that time, Regulus allowed his mind to drift away. But, all too soon, he noticed three students who weren't doing their work. "Oi!" he called out. "Potter! Weasley! Granger!" The three of them jerked up. "Page 15." he reminded them. The trio nodded and set to work.