ChapterTheSixth: Death and Distrust

A/N: I was about to add Sirius talking to Regulus here, but then I remembered.. 

Death..

Regulus closed his eyes, lips moving in a prayer, as he Apparated into a room, making sure the door was locked. "Hi. Emmeline Vance?" The witch turned. And screamed. "Regulus Black?" she asked, hand reaching for her wand. But Regulus was quicker. He remembered Emmeline from the Order, back in the days when he was still a Death Eater. He silenced her with his wand and gave her a sad smile. "I am sorry, Ms. Vance. I have to do this. But you were a wonderful person. Heaven will be blessed to have you. Avada Kedavra!" The witch fell down on the floor, but as her soul departed, it was filled with the knowledge that Heaven would be lucky to have her. 

Grimmauld Place

"Welcome, Narcissa. Bella. To what do I owe this...pleasure?" Narcissa said, "Oh, Regulus. You must help us. Help Draco." Regulus raised an eyebrow. "Won't Snivelus be well suited for this job?" "Severus," Narcissa said sharply, "is not at Hogwarts. You are. And you are the best suited for this job." Regulus drained of colour. "All right, then. I'll try." "You'll try." Bella repeated, chuckling. "What a good promise." her voice dripped with sarcasm. "Make an Unbreakable Vow. Then, we'll know how well suited you are." Despite his best wishes, Regulus said, "Take out your wand, Bella." Both sisters looked stunned but Bella took out her wand as Narcissa gripped Regulus's hand.

 "Do you, Regulus Arcturus Black, swear to know what Narcissa here is talking about?" Regulus managed not to roll his eyes and said, "Yes." "And, will you, to the best of your ability, protect Draco from harm?" "Isn't that what we are doing, Bella?" he snapped. "Yes, I do." "And, will you carry out the deed yourself, if Draco cannot?" Regulus nearly extracted his hand at the thought of killing someone, but rasped out a yes as The Vow was finished. Narcissa was beaming at him and Regulus smiled back, feeling as though someone had taken out his heart and dumped it in the wastelands of somewhere. 

At The Burrow

"Morning, Regulus." Harry greeted, sitting at the table. Regulus, who had not slept well all night, was a little irritated at Harry's cheerful attitude. And, frankly, surprised he was here. "What are you doing here, so cheerful?" "Oh, Dumbledore dropped him off last night." Molly answered for Harry. Regulus dropped a piece of toast he had caught hold of. "Dumbledore was here?" he asked, bending down to pick up the toast. "I would have liked to talk to him." Tell him about the crazy Vow I made about killing him. "Well, he didn't stay long." Harry explained. "He told me to stay careful, because when have I ever been reckless? And, also, I got my O.W.L result." Regulus, who had taken a sip of tea, said, "That's amazing, Harry. How many?" Harry shrugged. "8? I am not sure." "Oh, Regulus?" Regulus looked up, reaching for The Daily Prophet. "Dumbledore took me to see someone named Slughorn. He's coming back at Hogwarts. Dumbledore reckons you'll remember him." Regulus broke into a grin. "Slughorn? Yeah, I remember him. Good professor, he was. One of my favourites." Thinking of Slughorn made him think about the Slug Club. "You are a great Quidditch player, Harry." Regulus said, remembering his own glory days as a Seeker. And what had come after. His grin faded a little at that, but he brightened up again as Harry showed him his Quidditch Captain badge. "Knew you would make it, Harry." Regulus said, giving Harry a hug. 

All of a sudden, an owl landed on the dining table, pecking Regulus so hard, he swore. "Okay, damn. What's the problem with that bloody owl?" "It's from Dumbledore." Harry said, untying the letter. "For you." Regulus got up fast, taking the letter and tearing it open. It went:

Regulus,

I heard about The Vow you took with Narcissa. Quite a bold step you took there. I also have to talk to you about these horcruxes. See me first thing in my office when term starts.