ChapterTheFifth: The Most Important Year

Grimmauld Place

Regulus Black was sitting in the dining room of No. 12, Grimmauld Place, with Remus Lupin and Sirius Black. Lupin and Sirius were sitting side by side, their hands underneath the table, their faces taut. Everybody was quiet. The sound that broke the silence was of an owl screeching. It was Regulus who hurriedly got up; almost tripping over the chairs. He took the letter from the owl, opening it and scanning it. His shoulders relaxed slightly. "It's from Dung. Harry's safe. Mrs. Figg found Harry." As soon as he finished speaking, another letter arrived. Sirius caught hold of this one. "Harry's being expelled." he said, after a moment of silence. "Oh no. Is this for real?" Remus asked, but Sirius held up a hand. "Wait a minute, Dumbledore's working towards getting him a hearing. That's good, right?" he asked to the room.

"Can't tell." A voice replied. The three in the room turned to look at the speaker. "Hi Arthur. Come on in." Remus said wearily. Arthur entered the room and asked, "Could anyone fetch me a pen and paper? I need to write to Harry." Sirius scrambled up. "I'll get it. I want to write to Harry too." All too soon, Ron and Hermione came into the dining room. "Regulus, is it true?" Hermione asked. "Bloody hell! I- has Harry been attacked by a Dementor?" All this commotion caused his mother to wake up.

"Filths! Mudbloods! In this noble house of Blacks. I'll not tolerate it..I.." "Shut up! Walburga Irma Black, you shut the hell up or I swear to Merlin, I'll blast this goddamn painting off the wall." Regulus shouted, his wand in his hand, his eyes burning. "You!" Walburga shrieked. "Regulus Black! You are a disgrace to the name of The Blacks!" Regulus pointed his wand at the painting threateningly but his lip trembled and his hand shook as his mother insulted him.

"I thought the big disgrace was me." Sirius said calmly, walking down the stairs. "Now shut up, please." Smiling sweetly at his mother, Sirius pointed his wand at the portrait, causing the curtains to close over them, drowning the shouts. Sirius then turned to Regulus, patting him on the back. "You'll get used to the insults. Don't worry. I am proud of you for all you have done, Reg." Sirius gave him a half hug and went on his way, leaving Regulus standing there, blinking the tears out of his eyes.

Harry's Arrival

Regulus was in the dining room, tapping his fingers on the table, sulking because Dumbledore forbade him to go to get Harry. "You are a Death Eater, Regulus. How would it look?" Dumbledore had asked. Well, Regulus didn't care how it looked, but Dumbledore threatened to kill him if he went. So, Regulus was in the dining room, with Molly and some other members, waiting for the Order to come with Harry.

As soon as the Regulus heard the door opening, he sprang up to his feet. But Molly put a finger to her lips, motioning for Regulus to stay put. Regulus did, but only for a minute. Then he ran outside, catching Harry just as he was going upstairs. "Hey. Harry. What's up?" "Regulus. Mrs. Weasley won't tell me anything. What is going on?" "Well," Regulus began. Don't say the truth as of now. Maybe Arthur or Remus will tell him later. "I can't tell you, Harry. I am sorry." Regulus apologised. Harry shrugged, as if he had expected this. "Well, I am going to go up to Ron and Hermione. See you." Harry climbed up and disappeared. Regulus was about to offer to sit with Harry and share his pain but he entered the dining room to discuss on matters far more important than keeping a teenager, literally the main person, safe.

The Weapon

"What about the prophecy?" Regulus asked. "Well, we have guards stationed in the Department of Mysteries, and all of us will also take turns in patrolling, won't we?" Arthur asked, looking at everyone for confirmation. Each of them nodded. All of them were tired and weary and sleep deprived, but they knew that protecting the prophecy was the most important. It was then that Harry entered. The mood in the room changed considerably.