Chapter 6

"Melody!" I shouted.

I found the group huddled together in a different room and ran over to them.

"I heard a yell and the door breaking down! What happened?!"

"Bastard escaped," said Basho. "So, what do we do now?"

"The leader is probably dead," said Squala. "And we haven't completed the mission..."

"Shouldn't we report this to the boss?" Melody asked.

"That little girl's our boss in name alone," said Basho.

"It was someone else who hired us," said Squala. "Light Nostrade, her father. He gave the orders and the leader received them. But the leader was the only one who knew how to contact him."

Kurapika stood up from his seat.

"It seems we have no choice but to report what's happened to the boss," said Kurapika.

"I agree," I said. "Protecting the girl is your top priority, isn't it?" Everyone nodded.

_______

"Boss.....boss."

She literally is a girl. Thought she'd be older than that, older than me!

The girl stirred awake and sat up.

"What time is it?" She asked.

"It's 2 AM," said Kurapika.

"Huh? What about the auction!?" She demanded.

"It's been called off."

"Huh? Called off? Why?"

"The auction was attacked by thieves," Kurapika explained.

"Huh?"

"Baise, Ivlenkov, and Tocino died during the attack."

"What?"

"We can't reach the leader, so he's probably done for," Squala added.

He could've at least sugarcoated it a bit.

"No way," the girl sadly said. "What about the mummy?"

"Huh?"

"Was it really stolen? I wanted it so much..." The group sighed.

"The Mafia community moved the merchandise to a safe location," Kurapika explained.

"Oh, that's great!" The girl cheered. "So when is the next auction?"

"We don't know yet."

"What? Why not?"

"In any event, the leader handled all communication, so we don't know anything. We cannot act until we have orders."

"I don't know anything about that," said the girl. "So ask Daddy. His number's on my phone," she held her phone out to Kurapika.

Kurapika took it and held it out for Squala.

"Squala, make the call."

"Huh? Why me?!"

"You're the most experienced member left," Kurapika explained. "You should be the leader."

"No way! Out of question! I'm not the leader type."

"Let's vote then," I suggested. "Whoever gets the most votes is the temporary leader until your main boss selects an official leader of the group."

"I vote for Kurapika," said Melody. "He was the one who apprehended the bandit and has shown excellent judgment. I believe he would make the best leader."