Chapter 9

"Nii-chan?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

Nii-chan pulled me into his arms, resting his chin on top of my head.

"Why does he hate us so much? Did we do something to him?"

Nii-chan pressed his lips to my forehead.

"It doesn't matter what we did to him, baby spider," said Nii-chan. "He's threatening us. He's already killed Uvo. It's time for us to avenge him, no?"

"I don't want to kill him."

"What's more important to you? Me and the Troupe or him?"

Taking my silence as an answer, Nii-chan wrapped an arm around my waist and led me out of the room.

"Head back to the base," said Nii-chan. "I'm sure someone will be there to take care of you while I'm gone."

"Can't I stay with you?"

"...no. I don't want you exposing yourself to the Zoldycks."

The Zoldyck family. A family of assassins. Nii-chan once told me he had a run-in with two of the Zoldyck family members. He didn't tell me the full specifics, but it was enough to leave a lasting impression on Nii-chan.

"Oh....okay."

Pressing another kiss to my forehead, we split.

Hearing voices, I peered down the railing to see groups of Mafia members.

I'll have to take a de-eh?

My En flared up. A familiar tingle caused goosebumps to appear.

He's here?

Eyes flickering to one place after another until I finally picked him out from the crowd.

The lone wolf as always, but wait, he's on the phone. Could he be speaking to the boss?

I was already using Zetsu to let me move around the place without arousing suspicion. Knowing Kurapika, it's possible he'll pick it up as soon as I'm in range. I can't risk getting caught, not now.

Definitely taking a detour now.

Turning back, I hurried away.

Minutes later, I heard footsteps following me.

"Oi! Stop!"

Oh, God.

Skidding across the floor, I took a sharp turn. I chucked my heels off and took off running again.

"I wouldn't use your chains if I were you!" I shouted. "I'm not a Spider! Not officially at le-ack!"

Fist grabbing the back of my dress, Kurapika shoved me up against the wall.

His eyes. They're not grey anymore.

They're crimson red.

"You," Kurapika started. "You lied."

"I lied to keep my damn family safe," I said. "And you killed Uvo-nii."

Shoving me harder up against the wall, I bit down on my lip to prevent a whimper from slipping.

"I killed him for a reason."

"And what is that reason? Revenge? A sick pleasure on ending a life?" I spat back.

"He's the reason why my clan is dead!"

Clan?

"What clan?"

The look in his eyes started to die out.

"Don't lie to me. You know what clan."

I shook my head.

"No," I said. "I don't know what you're talking about or what clan."

"The Kurta Clan! Your damn family massacred my people for their eyes and I am the last known survivor of it!"

A million thoughts started to run through my head.

How long ago was it then? It had to be at least five or six years. No, wait. It is five years. Nii-chan left me in Meteor City one day shortly after forming the Troupe.

".....I didn't know."

Finally letting me go, Kurapika took a step back.

"Genuinely?" I nodded.

"I only did what Nii-chan told me to do," I said. "He's taken care of me ever since I was young. It felt wrong not to listen to him and he always said he knew what's best for me."

"Do you realize it now?"

Yes and no. It's always possible that he's lying but then again, Nii-chan and the rest of the Troupe could lie to me too if I asked.

"Yes and no," I waved my hands at the sight of Kurapika clenching his knuckles. "Hold on, hold on, hold on! I want both sides of the story first!"

Silence.

I swallowed hard and looked away at Kurapika's hardened gaze.

"Did you mean what you said?"

"....what?"

"About not being an official Spider?"

Oh.

I shook my head.

"Fine. Go then."

He's....letting me go?

Sliding across the wall, I turned on my heels and started to run. Finding a random door, I opened it and it led me outside.

It's a blood bath.

Hearing bullets raining, I moved for the trees.

"Y/n!"

Turning, I saw Shal-nii charging right at me. Wrapping his arms around me, he pulled me down to the ground for cover.

"Are you alright?" I nodded and buried my face into his chest.

"Shal-nii," I whispered. "I want to talk to Nii-chan"

___________

Several members of the Troupe gathered together before moving to find Nii-chan. We found him laying on a pile of rubble with a cut on his left cheek.

"Looks like you had fun, boss...."

"Yeah," Nii-chan agreed, sitting up. "I'm a little tired now."

"Are you too tired to answer my question?"

All eyes went to me.

I tugged Phinks' jacket closer to me and avoided Nii-chan's gaze.

"Nii-chan, you the original members of the Troupe left me behind in Meteor City five years ago. I never questioned why you left me behind. And I think I know why you left me now."

"Oh?"

Tightening my grip on the jacket, I choked out,

"Did you kill the Kurta Clan?"