Chapter 8

The drive back was silent.

Nii-chan told me that I didn't have to do anything anymore. My job here was done and that's that.

"Get some rest, baby spider. I'll wake you when we get there."

Hugging his trench coat closer to me, I snuggled in close and closed my eyes. I heard a soft chuckle before everything went black.

_________

"Boss?"

Shalnark watched Chrollo stride into the room with the sleeping baby spider in his arms.

"The chain-user. Find him and end him."

"With pleasure, boss."

Placing her down on the bed, Chrollo readjusted the covers on baby spider. Gently pulling the covers over her chin, he sighed.

"No worries, baby spider. Nii-chan will take care of it. He always does, doesn't he?"

He leaned down and planted a soft and soothing kiss on her forehead.

"Goodnight, baby spider. Sweet dreams."

_________

"You're finally awake, huh?"

Blinking, I saw Shal-nii standing over me. I sat up and rubbed the sleepiness from my eyes.

"Where's Nii-chan?" I mumbled.

"He's gone out," said Shal. "You don't need to worry about him. After all, he is the head of the Troupe."

"Hmm," I hummed in agreement. "What are you up to, Shal-nii?"

Sliding out of bed, I approached Shal-nii and leaned against his back. On the screen of the computer is a list of people.

"You recognize any of them, Y/n?" Shal-nii asked.

I took a look at the list.

"Nostrade's family?" I said in confusion. "Well, sure. I recognize all of them."

"Is the chain-user there?"

My heart stopped.

Kurapika?

"W-why are you asking?" I asked. "You're not going to kill him, are you?" Shal-nii turned to face me.

"Y/n," said Shal-nii. "You said so yourself that the chain-user has killed Uvo. He's killed one of our own and we need to hit him back."

"Yeah, but-"

"But what?"

"......he's not there."

"Eh?"

"He's not part of the list."

"Ah-ha. That's what you were talking about. This is going to be an issue then."

An issue for the Troupe, that's for sure.

I know Kurapika killed Uvo-nii. I know I should be angry. But seeing that I was unable to kill Kurapika says a lot, doesn't it?

"Where's Nii-chan?"

__________

"Mhm," I hummed. "So that's what he's planning."

Standing by the trees, Shal-nii and I watched a guard under Shal-nii's control speak to Light Nostrade.

"You know Neon Nostrade. What is she like?" Shal-nii asked me.

"Annoying," I said. "And spoiled. Very, very spoiled."

"Like yourself?" Shal-nii teased.

"H-hey! At least I know my limits!" I protested with a pout. "And says the one who doesn't know when to stop giving in!"