My Final Day

March 26, 2020
Barranquitas, Puerto Rico

Ever since he accepted the job offer the days seem to be passing by like shooting stars, every day seems shorter and shorter by the minute.

Time is running out and Kyle is soon to be leaving his hometown in Puerto Rico to embark on a new journey all on his own, so, he starts visiting his friends to say farewell. With only half a week left in Puerto Rico before he leaves for New York, and with everything going on, all he gets to do is nothing more than a faraway goodbye over face time, for everyone was under lockdown.

After chatting with everyone in his family, the night begins to set, he calls both of his friends, Sara and Gina to talk. They both answer and the three of them immediately start laughing "For the love of God, tell me you are not ruining this night by crying"

Gina swipes her cheek and swallows hard "You are leaving, of course, we're crying, we're going to miss you"

His other friend Sara points at him dramatically "You better call me or write to me every single day or I swear I will go to New York and beat the living shit out of you"

To which Gina follows "Yeah, you better not forget about us, and don't even go thinking about replacing us, you are ours, and we don't like sharing."

Kyle looks at them with a sarcastic face "BITCH, I belong to no one, no one"

Sara turns her head, bites her lips, and takes a deep breath "Mira cabron! Seriously, you take care and go and kick some ass like I know you will"

Kyle stares at them and smiles "I promise I will write you guys at least once a week, and once a month we will call each other over FaceTime and get caught up in the latest gossip."

As he says that, the memories of everything they've been through come flashing by, high school, college, graduations, outings, visitations, everything, life would never be the same for this trio of friends...

Three days later

His mom comes from behind him "You got everything right?"

He turns to look at her "Yes" She grabs a folder and starts going through it "You got your test results, and hand sanitizer your masks, flight schedule?"

He takes the folder from her "Mom, I told you I have everything with me"

To which she lets out-breath "Ok, ok, now, you have to go but promise me you will take care of yourself and you won't go falling into weird stuff"

"Mom, I'm leaving to go to work, not a party or make friends, so, why don't you stop worrying and give me one last look before I have to head inside"

His mom stares at him "I wish I could hug you"
He looks deeply into her eyes" I wish for nothing more, but I can't interact with anyone right now"

She curls her lips "I know, I love you"
tears started to run down her face

He smiles at her while tearing up as well "I love you more. Call me when I land there. Oh! Take care of yourself and my Lil Debby for me"

"You don't worry about me, and I will look after her while you're gone, now go, you don't want to be held back with many people near you" She replies

Kyle grabs his back, hands his negative test results, and walks through TSA.

After an hour of waiting he boards his plane and seats near the window as the plane takes off, as the plane begins to ascend, he stares at the land that saw him grow up, and now he had to leave...