My Soon to be Bestfriend

This chapter contains sensible dialogues revolving around race that may be triggering to some

🚨Readers Discretion Advised🚨

June 5, 2020
Rochester, New York

It's already been two months since moving to New York, he arrives at work, after getting lost on his way there. As he enters, he sees the ER packed with the people from the accident that took place earlier that afternoon.

One of the new interns walks in, he grabs a record and starts barking orders around "I need you to get the patient on bed 13 his blood work I don't get time to do a nurses job"

The intern then turned around and spotted Kyle "You, the white Latino"

Kyle looked around the room checking to see who he'd call that but he was the only one standing in place.

"You, I'm calling you are you deaf, or do you just play pretend?"

Kyle fixes the bridge of his mask and approaches the intern

"I need you to give a bath to the patient on bed 10, change the one on bed 14 and feed the one on bed 6. After you are done, the one on observation bed 3 need a urine specimen, take it and go to the lab and drop it off"

Kyle stood there and the doctor asked him

"Well? What are you waiting for?"

"I'm not on the floor those aren't my patients" He replies

"I don't care if they are your patients, I gave you instructions go follow them" The intern waves him off

Kyle turned around and went to the trauma area in the Emergency Department where he had been assigned that week. He spotted his supervisor and told her about the situation with the inter, she later met with the resident in charge of the doctor and told him what had happened.

The next day a young doctor Melton gets reprehended, and thinking it was a wise idea, he calls Kyle out in the middle of the ER "You asshole, you told on me"

Kyle turned around to find the angry, white, six feet tall doctor coming at him "Excuse you?"

Melton stop point-blank in front of Kyle and started taping his chest proudly "No, excuse you, I'm a doctor, you're nothing but the lowest piece in the pyramid, you are nothing, as for I, I went to fucking med school to have a little good for nothing nurse who thinks Spanish is some unknown language jeopardize my future"

Kyle took a step back and swallowed hard as he took a deep breath "That's it, first of all, I too went to school, while you were figuring out how to differentiate between an animal cell and a vegetal one, I was intervening with patients, so you went to med school, good for you, want me to pay you in the back accompanied by a gold star? He said sarcastically "Because, I went to nursing school, and I am sure as hell not about to let a rich self-entitled insecure white privileged asshole disrespect me by being xenophobic and rude."

Everyone around the ER looks at the pair as Kyle continued

"Second, I am a nurse but trust me I'm not the one at the bottom of this food chain, you are, I didn't go to med school but I don't clean other peoples shit as part of my primary functions, so you may want to rethink that, and lastly, know your place, YOU MAY BE WHITE AND PRIVILEGED but I know who I am and I do NOT need an ignorant that still lives in the old ages telling me where my place is, so get over yourself and do bloody better."

Everyone in the ER has gone silent, the doctor stared in awe, the nurse supervisor smiled proudly, and some of the patients started clapping in approval of what Kyle said as Melton turned around, ashamed and discouraged, and disappeared into a broom closet for a few good minutes.

After three hours, the director of the ER called Kyle into his office, as he enters the room he closes the door and takes a seat as the doctor gesture him to one "Kyle Sandoval right"

"Yes"

"Alright then, let's cut to the chase shall we"

Kyle nodded at him

"What happened today was unacceptable in every way, this is a hospital, yet, you and Andrew Melton used it as some sort of playground to dispute your personal feelings"

Kyle remained silent with his hands on his knees as the doctor made a pause looking at him

"Now, I'm not going to report this because you were standing up for yourself and, to be honest, I am happy someone called that kid out on his attitude, hopefully, that will teach him, but know that this type of behavior will not be tolerated in my ER and if you ever throw another scene like that in front of the patients I will report you to HR or even worst, you're regulatory nursing body do you understand"

"I do sir, it won't happen again, I promise" Kyle replies to him calmly

"I know it won't, for you've been warned"
Said the doctor as he stood from behind his desk

Kyle breaths and waits for a second to see if the doctor is going to say anything else, but he doesn't, Kyle nods to him in understanding, stands, and walks away continuing the rest of his shift.

Five years later

September 22, 2025
Rochester, New York

Doctor Melton and Kyle rush through the halls that lead out into the ambulance bay with an incubator to get a born baby transferred to another hospital where she will receive a heart transplant, they get out there and as they sit on the back of the ambulance Kyle looks at Melton "Again, why couldn't they bring the organs to us?"

Melton looks away from his phone and straight into Kyle's eyes "They are still harvesting the organs, Doctor Fills, the surgeon that will perform the heart transplant was already overseeing a patient in that hospital and well, it's easier if the baby was at that hospital, plus it's what the parents requested so, here we go"

As they are on their way, while in silence Kyle looks at Melton "Can I tell you something"

"Sure, what's up" Melton replies

"You know how you asked me a few weeks back if something had happened with the egos"

"I do, why, did something happen"

"Yes, it did," Kyle says to him while looking to the floor

At that moment the ambulance stops abruptly,
both of them slide in the back and Melton tries to look out "What is going on out there?"

One of the paramedics looks over her shoulder "Umm, it seems like traffic is jammed due to the rain"

As Melton looks at Kyle the massive piled up goes all the way to the highway exit where a car had just crashed into a lightning post...

______________________________
Andrew's afterwords for this chapter

"To live is to learn, to learn is to grow, and to grow, you must live. That's the vicious cycle we never seem to escape, for yesterday's mistake can be tomorrows learned lesson"
______________________________

*With a rocky start and ways to go, Kyle and Andrew will face yet another unexpected success of events in their whirlwind life. Can they find a way to make it?*

Continue reading chapter five of
🗽Abroad Liberty🗽
To find out