The End of an Era

You were finishing the last episode of the season for your show. The director yelled "cut" and your crew congratulated you as you walked off the set. You stuck around for a while, ate some food and talked to your team, and then you went home, tired from a long day of filming.

The next day you went over to the water tower, like usual, and Yakko greeted you at the door.

"Hey ___, come in." he said. "Congrats on finishing the season." He stepped back to let you in and then closed the door behind you.

"Yeah, it's a relief to finally get a break, but I'll probably be filming again soon, depending on when we get renewed for another season." you said, and sat down on the couch, Yakko sitting next to you.

"Eh, don't worry about that, for now just relax." He threw his arm over your shoulder and you leaned against him.

They were currently waiting as well, after their fifth season. You were both a bit worried, but neither of you wanted to talk about it, in fear of jinxing it. Wakko and Dot came into the room and jumped on your lap.

"Congrats on finishing the season!" Dot shouted, and Wakko nodded his head.

"Aw, thanks guys." you said, hugging them tightly.

They jumped off your lap and onto the couch, and you guys watched tv for a while.

After some time, the phone rang, and the trio jumped up and scrambled to reach it first.

"I'll get it!" they all shouted.

Yakko was the one who got it, and Wakko and Dot huffed and walked back over to the couch. You were leaning on the wide arms and looking over at Yakko. He greeted the person on the other end like usual, but then you saw his expression drop. His eyebrows purked up and he looked over at you with a strange expression. You were about to get up and walk over to him when he hung up the phome and went back to sit next to you on the couch. You looked at him questioningly, a bit worried.

"They aren't renewing us for another season." he said, matter-of-factly, but you could hear the sadness in his voice.

Dot and Wakko's ears purked up when they heard that. A toon's show is their passion, and their purpose, it's always tough when it finally comes to an end.

"No way!" Wakko said, his ears drooping back.

Dot just leaned back against the couch, her eyebrows furrowed in thought. You looked over at them and then back at Yakko, who was looling at you with an expression that told you that wasn't all.

"And... they aren't renewing yours either." he said, seeming more sad than he was when he told you about his own show.

Your eyes shot open and your thoughts started racing. You were torn between feelimg back for the Warners and grieving over your own show. To think that news had to be delivered all at once, it was upsetting. Your show hadn't run as long, and you weren't as old a toon as the Warners were, you didn't know if that made it better or worse. You all exchanged sad and distraught glances, then Wakko started to cry. You saw a tear run down his cheek first, as you were sitting closer to him, but once Yakko noticed he reached across and pulled you all into a hug, stroking Wakko's head.

"Hey now, it's alright. We've got plenty of free time now, right? We'll be fine." You could tell he was saying that to convince himself as well as them.

He consoled Wakko, and you all allowed Dot to express her frustration, listening to her talk for a while. After a bit, they were drained, physically and emotionally.

"You guys should get some rest, we'll figure out what we're doing tomorrow." He stood up and took Wakko and Dot's hands, leading them over to their beds.

You followed behind, helping tuck them in, and then went back to sit on the couch and talk with Yakko.

"I'm sorry about your show." you told him.

He looked up at you with sad but compassionate eyes. "I'm sorry about yours too. I know we'll be alright, but I'm worried about my sibs.

You nodded and looked down at your lap, unsure what to say. You knew toons weren't treated too well once their shows ended, but you guys wouldn't be pushed around.

"You know what, this is good." he said, and you looked up at him. "This will be the start of something knew, where we don't have to live under other people's rules." he told you with a sudden enthusiasm.

You smiled, Yakko always knew how to turn things around. "Yeah, this will be a good change."

You squeezed him into a hug, and you both fell asleep together on the couch, no longer worried about what you were going to do next.

When morning arrived, you sleepily rolled over and saw Yakko wasn't next to you. You looked over at the kitchen and saw that he was preparing breakfast.

"Morning." you said, as you walked over and sat down on a kitchen stool.

"Goodmorning." he said with a smile. He put a bunch of waffles on four plates and set them on the table.

Wakko was already waking up from the smell of breakfast, so you went over and woke up Dot.

"Morning, time to get up!" you said to her, and to Wakko as, but less so.

They both crawled out of bed, Wakko more enthusiastically of course, being ready for breakfast. You all sat down and ate breakfast.

"We've decided that this is a good thing." Yakko said.

"Huh?" Dot questioned, still a bit sleepy.

"The show ending, it's going to be the start of something good." he told them.

"What do you mean? How is it good?" Wakko asked, munching on his waffles.

"Because we can do whatever we want now." you said.

"Whatever we want?" Wakko and Dot both asked.

"Whatever we want." you repeated.

"You know what?" Yakko asked. "Who wants to take a trip to ancient Greece?"