Chapter 12

"Alrighty! Today is the day kids!" Finnick said before our tributes went with Adrian and Selena.

 "Good luck and don't die." 

I hugged Casper, "Don't get in with Ariel, she'll kill you the first chance she gets." I whispered in his ear, 

"Not if I kill her first."

 "Good luck." 

"Thanks." I ruffled his hair before turning to Ariel and hugging her. 

"I know you don't like me but try not to die." She smiled, 

"That's the goal." 

"Finnick already gave you the spiel about the Cornucopia, but find water and if you go into the bloodbath get out as soon as you can."

 They both nodded before Selena drug them into the elevator. I waved goodbye to them as the elevator doors snapped closed.

 "Well we'd better get ready." Finnick said.

 "What do you mean I am ready." 

"No, I would prepare for a long 48 hours. That means sweatpants and sweatshirts. Also snacks, lots of snacks." 

He trudged to his room to change. I followed suit and we were soon on our way to the control room our bags of snacks in hand.

Entering the control room for the first time was like stepping onto another planet. 24 victors all dressed in assorted lounge wear roamed around gossiping and waiting for the announcement that called for the start. 

Finnick showed me my room which was connected to his by a door. There was a large screen that wrapped around half of the small space. The other half of the room was taken up by a small bed. Under the screen was a desk with assorted pens, paper and a keyboard. A small white card sat next to the keyboard. 

"That's your login information." Finnick said, 

"Just scan it here," He held it up to the base of the screen and it came to life. My information was there along with Ariel's. I tapped on the square that said Arena View and a large empty bowl came up with the words, Arena View will be available in 5:00, 4:59, 4:58, 4:57. The countdown continued so I set out the stuff that Finnick had told me to bring. A blanket and pillow that I set on the bed and enough junk food to feed an army. I picked up my coffee before venturing out into the communal lounge area. 

"This is where meals will be served, and once your tribute is dead you are free to hang out here as well as in your room." Finnick said, 

"We don't leave?"

 "Nope, just to shower and change clothes." 

"I meant if your tribute dies." 

"Oh, no we like to stay and help out the remaining mentors, sometimes we take over for them or bring food. For example, old Chaff and Cashmere watched you for 12 hours for me so I could go get more sponsor money."

 I nodded, "That's cool." 

A buzzer went off and an automated voice announced that the tributes were ascending in 30 seconds. I retreated to my cube and logged in. I could see Ariel getting ready to enter the tube. Adrian was telling her something that I couldn't hear. I saw a pair of headphones off to the side. I grabbed them and suddenly I was in the middle of their conversation. 

"I'm scared Adrian." 

"It'll be alright." He said before she hugged him. 

My heart gripped with sadness as she entered the tube. 15 more seconds. I took a deep breath to calm the butterflies in my tummy and watched helplessly while the platform rose. She touched the glass, her eyes wide as Adrian watched with a quiet reassuring smile. As her tube rose the view on the screen expanded and widened. Then I saw the arena. The cornucopia was set in the middle of a large dirt circle with a drop-off behind Ariel's back and woods in front of her. There's a lake too. A very promising playground.

The sixty second countdown begins and the camera swings around the circle of tributes, young faces some frozen in fear and some cold and calculating. Peeta was poised to run and Casper was eyeing something at the horn. I didn't get a good look at Katniss before the camera swung back to Ariel. 10 seconds on the clock. It is silent. Just the ticking of the clock. 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. 

 "Ladies and Gentlemen, let the 74th Hunger Games begin!" 

The loud voice is followed by the cannon and the tributes are off their pedestals. Ariel is two steps ahead of the pack and is the first to the Cornucopia, followed by Clove. She hands her a knife in exchange for a spear. Allies. I can work with that. The tributes start rolling in. Then it's all a blur of blood. Some even spattered on my camera lens. As the action began to wind down I heard Finnick curse. I looked up at my view and immediately saw why. The big kid from 2 had Casper in his grasp. He was holding him up by the neck like a duck. 

In my viewfinder Ariel had a tear cutting through the blood on her face. 

"Please no Cato! He'll be useful!" She was begging him now.

 "I kill him or I kill you." Cato said. "Someone's going to die. Do you have an opinion Four?" Ariel was silent. Cato must of taken her silence as an answer because he drove his knife through Casper's gut. Casper was silent, he didn't flinch, just looked up a the sky and excepted it. I choked back a sob. "No." I heard it come out of my mouth before I realized I had said it. 

Ariel clasped a hand over her mouth while the other Careers cheered Cato on. Cato stabbed him several more times and he was covered in red blood. I watched Casper's eyes flit back to Ariel and he held up three weak fingers before Cato snapped his neck. His limp body fell to the ground with a dull thud. Finnick punched something in the other room. I wiped my tears away. The Capitol cameras cut away but on my screen as the Careers walked away Ariel placed a soft kiss on his forehead and closed his eyes. "I'm sorry." 

Alrighty folks I promised I would have it up this week! I hope you guys like this new chapter. I'm going to be honest I teared up a little bit. Thank you for all of the love you have been showing both books in this series I really appreciate it! 

All the Love  ❤

Buckaroobelle