Chapter 8

The party was packed with people. Little kids screamed and ran around while Victors and guests shared the latest gossip. I saw Percy in the corner but I didn't feel like getting blown off today. Finnick and Annie had taken off to who knows where and Hank and Madison were giggling at each other by the punch bowl. I wanted to punch her in her perfect white teeth. The band struck up a classic folk song and everyone lined up to dance. I snuck over to the corner and sat in the unoccupied seat. As per usual. Everyone looked like they were having fun, dancing and laughing. Bill, the old man who fished for crabs had his fiddle out and was letting it rip. He must have seen me sitting there because he waved me up when he finished the song. 

"If I remember correct, your daddy used to be quite the fiddler. Did he learn you how to play?" 

I nodded, it seemed like it was an eternity ago when he used to let me sit on his lap and play his old fiddle. 

 "How about you play for a while? My wife wants a dance." 

"I'm a little rusty Bill." I said with a laugh,

 "Don't worry about it kid, these people would dance to a seal's bark right now."

 He winked and handed me the old worn out fiddle and bow. I gave him an uneasy smile and touched the bow to the strings and began to play the only song that I remembered.

I played for the rest of the night and ended up following Hank and Madison on the walk home. Cedar had come home a few hours ago to check on mom and she hadn't come back. When I got to my house I bid them good night and slipped in the front door. 

The stench hit my nose and my nostrils flared at a familiar metallic smell. 

"Cedar. Mom?" 

I took off my heels to avoid the clicking and reached to grab the damn trident from above the door. With it in hand I slunk into the kitchen. I heard someone breathing hard and I flipped the hall light on to see Cedar hiding underneath the stairwell. Her eyes were wide with fright and she pointed to the still dark kitchen. In the moonlight I could see a familiar silhouette and I prayed that it wasn't what I thought it was. 

"How long ago were they here Cedar?" I asked her in a low tone, 

"About an hour." her voice was small and quaking.

 "Go outside." I reached for the light, "Now, Cedar." 

She scampered out without another word. I took a deep breath and flipped the switch. There she was. My mother, swinging from our chandelier by a bloody rope. I pulled the blood-soaked paper from her fist and smoothed it out. On it, written in elegant script,

 'Sorry it had to be this way, she really was such a lovely woman. Sincerely, President Snow.' 

I tossed it on the table in disgust. I threw the trident at the wall with all the force I could muster. Plaster went flying across the room and scattered across the room. I punched the table and it splintered into my hand but I kept punching it, letting out every emotion I had had since the games, right there under my mother's dead body. Soon the table was stained red. Someone came up behind me and took my arms. I ripped out of his grasp and pulled my trident out of the wall, all of a sudden filled with a strange calm. If Snow wanted to make the Hunger Games last, we could make the Hunger Games last. 

 "We should get rid of the body."

 I stepped up onto what was left of the dining table and swung at the rope. The blade flew right through it and her body landed on the table with a loud thud. Hank's eyes were wide as I jumped down and grabbed her arms. 

"Make sure Madison has Cedar then come back and help me." 

he nodded and ran out. I picked her up as best I could and began to slowly make my way to the door. Hank came back in and grabbed her legs. We carried her out to the beach and placed her on an old door. I kissed my middle three fingers and pressed them to her lips and then kissed her forehead. "I love you mama. I'm sorry." Hank lit the match and handed it to me. I placed it on the board and the whole thing began to spark. Then we pushed it into the ocean. She lit up the night, and I promised myself that one day I would see Snow bleed.

A few days later Peacekeepers came to get Cedar. They said she was going to go live with our Aunt on the other side of the district, because I had been deemed mentally unwell and unfit to raise her on my own. I was powerless to stop them as they drug her away screaming. The only thing that I could feel was the emptiness inside me, growing deeper by the day.

End of Part 1

Hey guys! I hope you like this part! We are going to delve into more familiar territory in the next section of this book. I hope you are all exited for Sage to reunite with Peeta and finally meet Katniss!

All the love❤

Buckaroobelle