Chapter 7

In District 1 I met the brother sister matchup of Cashmere and Gloss. Cashmere made it a point to take me under her wing at the party while Gloss and Finnick bantered.

Then the final stop, the Capitol. Adrian informed me that the theme was the heart of the ocean. A dark blue skin tight dress with a ball gown skirt that attached and detached around the waist. Dark blue eye makeup and my hair in a low bun drew the look together. Even though I looked like I had done nothing wrong I had never been so terrified walking into a party. The idea of the rebellion was so bright in my mind while I looked around at all of these people flaunting their riches like peacocks. The idea that this could all be brought down gave me the hope to get through that horrible night.

When we boarded the train that night I flopped down on my bed, the weight of the tour lifting off my chest and being replaced by a warm fuzzy feeling that came with the thought of home. The extra dresses were hanging in the closet. I could see the light glinting off of a blue satin fabric that I hadn't seen. Cedar will be so excited to see me in one of Adrian's dresses. She had inherited our mother's expensive taste in clothing. I had asked Adrian to make her a dress too which he had agreed to, only because I begged him and he had made a handful of extra dresses. I fell asleep dreaming about dancing with my mother and sister tomorrow night in District Four. Then I was in a ballroom dancing with a boy. He was faceless for the most part but sometimes he would look more like Chess, other times he looked more like Hank. Sometimes he looked like Percy, or the boy I met at the bakery in 12 or Finnick. For one horrible moment he looked like President Snow. Their words whispered though my mind,

"Snow lands on top."

"I don't mind this."

"Oh, you're Sage Beatty!"

"Are you okay?"

"Don't die."

"You can win."

Again and again until I sat up in a cold sweat, there was no deaths this time. No severed heads. It was all just a dream.

The next morning we pulled into the train station, the moment the doors opened I caught a whiff of salt air and my soul was set free. For the first time in the last two weeks when the doors opened I was greeted with happy faces. Familiar faces. Cedar came running and crushed me in a hug, my mother followed behind her. There were some Capitol reporters there but they didn't seem to matter. Mrs. Odair and Aly came to greet Finnick and then me. Percy was nowhere to be found. Neither was Hank. My heart fell a little when I saw Ash standing there alone. I embraced her, and she gave me an apologetic look.

"He wanted to come, but something came up."

"I'm not worried about it." I said and she hugged me again.

"I'm glad you are home sweetie. We have so much to talk about."

"That we do."

She patted me on the arm and disappeared into the crowd. Finnick grabbed my arm and led me through the crowd and off the train platform.

The prep team did my hair and makeup one last time and Adrian braided my hair back. He also did Cedar's. I think he liked her a lot more that he was letting on. Mom decided not to come with us to the party and opted to stay home. That was the first mistake that was made that night. Adrian helped me into a long baby blue mermaid dress and the heels that he had saved for this dress.

"You look good," A voice came from the door looking into the living room.

I looked over to see Hank standing there, watching while the prep team finished my makeup.

"Thanks, you too."

He was wearing a suit with the top few buttons of the shirt not done up all the way. Adrian was fussing over Cedar's hair but when he saw Hank he buzzed over and started fixing his hair.

"There that looks better." Adrian said quickly before turning to wink at me.

Hank had a confused look on his face when one of the prep team hair sprayed him.

"Hank!" a tinkling voice came from the doorway.

I looked over to see a short red haired girl standing there.

"Maddie!" he walked over to her and gave her a big hug and a peck on the lips.

My heart dropped to my toes.

"Sage, this is my girlfriend Madison. Madison, this is my friend Sage."

I forced a smile and offered her a handshake only to have her ignore me and turn back to Hank.

"Are we ready to go?" He gave her a warm smile,

"Sure, let's go." He looked up at me and my heart broke again.

"See you there Sage."

"See you there," I choked.

The moment they were gone Adrian turned on me.

"What was that about?"

"I didn't think he had a girlfriend, now I just feel stupid." I sat down and put my head in my hands, Adrian came over to me and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Sagie, Uncle Adrian is not going to let that FINE piece of man walk out of your life," He looked at the prep team. "Girls, bring out the other dress."

The prep team scurried out and came back carrying the dress that I had seen last night. Blue satin with a high neck, short skirt and a long overskirt. I covered my mouth.

"That is amazing."

He smirked, "This is nothing that this little dress won't fix."

He helped me out of the mermaid and into it. The rest of my family had gone with Hank and Madison so it was just us in the house. There was no one to hear my girly giggle, one of the last I would ever make.

Heeeyyyyy, y'all, so I know that I have been really bad about updating this but I did it! I promise that I will do my best to not have as much time between updates!

All the love

Buckaroobelle