Chapter 10

The minute I got off the train I was crushed in a hug. Blonde hair clouded my vision but I could tell it was Cashmere.

"I'm so sorry to hear about your mother." She pulled away and put her hands on my shoulders. "If you need anything let me know."

I smiled, despite all of the things that Johanna had told me about Cashmere she had wiggled her way into my heart. Her brother Gloss was standing behind her. He gave me a big hug before Lilly whisked me away to get my hair and makeup done for the mentor interviews, which I had no idea were a thing. They must not show them in the Districts, but despite me not knowing what was going on, my prep team waxed my eyebrows, put concealer over my dark circles and managed to squeeze me into a cropped top with bell sleeves, flare jeans and some big earrings before sending me out into the hall to meet Finnick.

"You look good, Beatty."

He was dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and khaki shorts.

"Thank you, you look comfortable."

He held out his arms, examining the loud print. "I am. Are you?"

I laughed "Very." He held out his arm and we walked down the hall.

    The mentor interviews were weird. They asked us about our tributes and gave them a number that sponsors could call to donate money and place their bets. The whole ordeal took all of 20 minutes. On our way out we ran into Haymitch. He looked different, maybe even sober.

"Haymitch!" I waved, and he gave me a half hearted nod.

Maybe not entirely sober. Finnick pulled me down the corridor that spiraled down to the ground level until we broke into the large area where chariots of tributes were lined up and ready to go. I looked around, overwhelmed by the sheer amount of glitter the tributes were dressed in. Finnick made his way to our tribute's chariot with his head down and I tried to follow suit but I was stopped by Brutis the giant from 2.

"Well, well, well, Little Bitty Beatty's a big bad mentor now."

He glared at me and I felt myself shrinking away from him. His laugh boomed echoing back at me. He had to bend down to get in my face,

"I still don't understand how a runt like you won."

Suddenly my courage came rushing back to me. I raised my fists

"Why you son of a..."

Strong hands grabbed me from behind and I turned to see Chess's smug smirk.

"Miss Sage, you weren't going to punch my dear friend Brutis were you?"

I gave him a bewildered look and he winked at me.

"And Brutis you weren't taunting my dear friend Sage, were you?"

The giant grumbled and turned back to the blond boy standing next to the chariot. Chess took my arm and began to lead me away from his district partner.

"Long time, good to see nothing has changed."

"What do you mean?" I asked,

"I feel like every time I see you are trying to get yourself killed." He gave me a side eyed look and his smirk widened.

Rolling my eyes I smiled.

"I could have taken him."

He raised his eye brows, "Okay, next time I'll let you get pummeled by the man with the second highest kill count ever."

"You forgot I killed a girl with a severed tendon to even the odds."

He laughed,

"How is it by the way?" He asked gesturing to my leg