Chapter 6

In this chapter there is some stuff discussing Snow and him selling the victors, just letting you know in advance. Also, if you want another song option, try Illicit Affairs by Taylor Swift.

I went through the motions in District 3. I gave my speech, socialized with some of the other victors, even though I didn't have much in common with them. They were all near genius, having won their games by some form of technological trickery. One of them, a man named Beetee won by electrocuting all of the tributes. I tried to talk to him for a while but I couldn't keep his attention for very long because all he wanted to talk about was how I had set up the trap in the church. I didn't want to talk about that.  Adrian had put me in a sleeveless floor length dress with a ruffle neckline. It was gorgeous, but it made me look like less of a monster than I was. 

When I stepped into the ballroom in District 2 my breath caught in my throat. It was the most beautiful room I had ever been in, everything was practically dripping in gold as was I. I passed Enobaria, with her diamond inlay fangs. She flashed then at me when she passed and I shrunk into my gold winged shoes, feeling more like a coward than I ever had. I lost Finnick early on and Lilly didn't want anything to do with me so I sat down next to the snack table. Every once in a while I would see a blur of red hair that signaled his presence but he was off flirting with the Capitol citizens who had came and didn't notice me. Usually by this time he would be hunting me down to go make sure I was socializing. I liked to watch people, study them if you will. While I was studying  I saw a sobbing family by the bar.

  That must be Dakota's family.

I stood up and began to make my way towards them. There was a little boy hugging his mother's legs and as I approached them he began to whimper. I felt the tears welling up in my eyes, if this was Dakota's brother he had seen me kill his brother. Murder him in cold blood. I stepped backwards as the little boy tugged at his mother's skirt. She turned to look at me with cold eyes, and I felt the muscles in my face slacken as I turned to leave.

"Hey, what's up?" A tall dark haired boy grabbed my arm and I ripped it out of his grasp.

"Leave me alone! I'm fine!"

"You are not fine," He said, pulling me around to face him. His big blue eyes taking the fight right out of me.

"Who even are you?" I snapped

"I'm Chess, I won last year."

I remembered him, "Swamp lands right?" They were bloody by the time that it was over.

He nodded, "Yeah, I don't like to talk about it,  you know when stuff like that happens you don't like to mention it."

"I'm Sage,"  he took my hand and kissed it, "I know," he stated with a wink.

I felt my cheeks heat up as he stood back up and led me onto the dance floor. The band was playing a slow waltz and he led me across the floor with ease.

"So who are you exactly?" I asked him,

"Like I told you I won the.."

"No," I cut him off "I want to know who you are without Snow's control, who are you."

He pulled me closer to him, "I am a messed up kid, who has blood on his hands." He was holding me closer now. "I am someone who wants to see Snow dead, just like all of the kids that you and I killed, I want him to bleed for them." 

I could feel his warm breath down my neck. The music was as mystifying as his words and we danced in silence for a while. Was there a world where the Snake's blood could be shed?

"So who are you Sage Beatty? The Capitol sweetheart of the year?"

I laughed, "No, I don't think I was ever that. I want to see Snow dead too." I lowered my voice, "but I can't pull it off without getting the people I love killed too."