Chapter 4

I read the crap on the cards and then went to dinner with the Mayor and daughter. Her name was Madge. We didn't talk much, but she seemed nice. Before we were whisked back on the train I managed to escape and take a walk through the district. My high heeled shoes had been replaced by sturdy boots and the jumpsuit by a heavy coat and pants. I walked through the streets, keeping my head down my feet slushed through the snow and mud. I walked down main and came upon a small bakery. From outside you could smell the bread and chocolate. I skipped up the steps and stepped into the warm air. A little bell rang on the door and a blonde-haired boy poked his head around the door.

"Hi! Welcome to Mellark Bakery, I'll be right with you!" There was some clanging in the back and he came out to the counter.

"Hey what can I get you?" I dug around in my pockets to make sure I had money to pay the poor boy.

"Can I get a cupcake?" I asked him and he nodded.

"What kind?"

"Chocolate?"

he smiled, "I figured, you aren't from here are you?"

"No, just coming through." his eyes lit up in recognition, "Oh! You're Sage Beatty!"

I smiled "Yeah, what's your name?"

"Peeta,"

I held out my hand, "It's nice to meet you Peeta."

He shook it, and handed me my cupcake. I gave him a bill and told him to keep the change. His eyes widnened at me.

"Really?" I smiled and nodded.

"Thank you!" He jumped over the counter and gave me a big hug. He was really quite tall, at least 6 foot and towered over me.

"No problem, Buddy." I said laughing.

He almost reminded me of Hank, with his blonde hair and blue eyes but his bubbly personality overroad Hank's sarcastic one. I saw Finnick out the window and smiled,

"Oh crap, the calvalry is here."

"Who?"

"I  have to go, thank you for the cupcake!"

"No problem! If you ever need anything while you are here call for Peeta Mellark."

"Will due!"

I ran out the door, and right into Finnick.

"Heeeeyyyy Fin."

"Beatty. Why am I not suprised that I found you here?" I shrugged,

"Did you at least get me anything?"

I looked in the bag and found that Peeta must have put a few cookies in as well. I handed one to Finnick and I grabbed my cupcake. We ate while we walked back to the train station in the sleet and rain.

Our next stop was District 11. It was significantly warmer there, so Adrian put me in a short yellow dress and grey chunky heels. He did my hair in a large fishtail braid down the side of my head. I didn't know any of the tributes from 11 that well so it was easier. After the speech there was a party where I met several of the Victors, my favorite being an older woman named Seeder. We had talked about dresses and fasion for most of the evening. I told her my sister's name was Ceder. She got a good laugh out of it, and I probably would have talked to her all night had Finnick not dragged me out on the dance floor. It was quite fun but there was a tension in the air, similar to the one in 12. An anger at the Capitol.

District 10 was one of my favorite Districts. Adrian put me in a tight bright red number with matching heels and lips. My hair was braided in a way that looked like snakes intertwining. Then being whisked off to the Justice Building. Speech. I met Calgary Green, one of the newer District 10 Victors. Then Finnick made me dance and we went back to the train.

District 9, a long white mermaid style gown with nude heels.

In District 8 Adrian put me in a nude A-line gown with embroidered vines. I talked to one of the victors, a woman named Cecila who had several little girls pulling at her skirt. I taught the youngest, named Clare how to swing dance.

While we had been on the train from District to district Adrain had been teaching me how to do my own hair and makeup for the years to come. He let me do my own hair for 8 and 9 because he had to alter the dresses.

While we were in District 7 I met Johanna Mason, and we became fast friends after she made a comment about my short red dress. During dinner we snuck out and threw axes behind the justice building. The Victors from District 6 were all high on morphling. I made a mental note to avoid the stuff at all costs.

When we pulled into the District 5 station something felt different.

Adrian had dressed me in a short silver dress and matching platform shoes. We were met by 4 peacekeepers that surrounded me on all sides while we walked towards the town square.

"You will deliver your speech and get on the train." The one on my right said,

"Why?" I asked and one of them hit me in the back of the knee with his baton,

"It wasn't a question."

They shoved me up on the stage and I felt a sharp pain behind my knee. I stumbled before regaining my composer. I looked out on the sea of faces.

"Hi, Um." I looked around for my cards before realising that I had dropped them in the scuffle.

"My name is Sage Beatty, the victor of the 73rd Hunger Games."

The voice of Maggie's mother echoed through my mind. Make a difference. End this madness.

"What your two tributes experienced in that arena was horrible, unethical and wrong." I stated and the crowd gasped. "The Hunger Games are wrong, we shouldn't have to send our children to fight to the death for the entertainment of the Capitol!"

Peacekeepers were swarming the stage now but I kept talking, "I dare to dream of a brighter future! Without a Hunger Games!" I was being dragged off the stage. "I dream of a rebellion!"

The crowd exploded in chaos and the peacekeepers drug me around the back and began to beat me. I heard the crack and felt the paralyzing sting of a bull whip coming down on my back, again and again until it all fell away to pain. I could vaguely hear Finnick's voice over the din, telling them to get off of me, and that I got what I deserved. Finally the pain subsided and I felt myself being picked up and carried away.

Hey y'all, sorry for the late update! Sorry the editing is a little rough in the beginning, hopefully it will get better!

All the love

Buckaroobelle