Chapter 14

Haymitch came back in and took over the controls a few hours later. 

"That shower took an awful long time." I said lazily.

His eyes were sunk down into his head and he looked like he was going to be sick. Withdrawals I assumed, he dropped his head into his hands and shook his head.

 "I had to talk to some more sponsors after I saw your generous donation of that sleeping drug."

 "It will work won't it?" 

His sunken grey eyes danced with humor. "I think it will work fabulously Miss Beatty. Thank you." 

"No problem Haymitch, if you need me just call." He gave me a thumbs up as I stepped out of the cubical. 

It was almost 1am but the Capitol was still booming. I knew that some of the Hunger Games watching parties could run until 4 in the morning but it still baffled me. I was spotted by a young girl in a pink dress who wore her blonde hair in twin braids. She waved and drug her mother over to me. 

"Mommy, mommy, It's Sage Beatty!" She looked up at me with big adoring eyes, "I want to be just like you when I grow up!" she proclaimed. 

"You do?"

 I knelt down so that I was eye level with her. "Why would you say that?" 

She looked down at her patent leather shoes, "Because you're awesome and strong, and I really like your hair." she paused before continuing. "Also you are super fast and pretty, and..." I smiled as her sentence trailed off. 

"What's your name sweetie?" I asked her,

 "Kalie, with a K." 

"Well Kalie, I think you'll be all of that and more when you grow up." Her eyes bored into me. 

"Really?" I nodded before dropping my voice, "Do you want to know a secret?" She nodded so hard I thought her head would fly off. "I'm no different than anyone else, but I believe that I can do anything I put my mind to. That's the key." She looked up at me like I had just turned on a light switch in her brain. Her face broke into a big grin, "I believe that I can be as awesome as Sage Beatty!" I laughed and gave her a hug.   Her mother wanted to take a picture so I squatted next to Kalie and smiled. After the flash of light had faded from my eyes I bid them goodbye and hustled down the street towards the tribute center. I ducked in the doors before more people could stop me.

My sleep was plagued with nightmares, my mother's body hanging above the dining room table her cold green eyes searing into me. "You did this to her, it's your fault."  The voices whispered from all around me, overwhelming me until I collapsed. Then I was standing in the arena, but not my arena like most of my dreams, but this year's. Katniss Everdeen stared at me from down the shaft of her arrow, Peeta stood behind her. His face was bleeding from a cut on his forehead and the blood trickled down and dripped off the end of his chin. He said something in a quiet voice and Katniss's grip on her arrow loosened. I was grasping my trident, it's handle a little too familiar in my hands. Hank stood next to me, his voice a low whisper in my ear. I couldn't tell what he said or if it was actually Hank, but the idea that he was there was calming. 

 Katniss was shaking with anger, "Sage Beatty." her voice was raspier than I would have expected, but my name sounded like venom coming from her lips. 

Why is she in my dream? Normally it's Maggie or Dakota, or any of the other tributes that I had killed. But Katniss Everdeen was a new appearance. 

"Why are you here?" my voice echoed through the forest. 

"To do this." she said and loosed her arrow. It sunk up to the fletching in my gut. 

 I jolted up in bed grasping for the arrow in my stomach but it wasn't there. I flopped back onto my pillows before grasping for the TV remote. The dark began closing in like a heavy blanket on a summer night. I clicked the TV on, the blue light stopping the dark's attack. Maybe the reason Katniss Everdeen had been in my dream was because she was dead. That would make some sense right? I found the channel that the Games were on. The last 3 tributes were cornered on top of the Cornucopia by a pack of mutts. Cato had Peeta in a headlock while Katniss had her bow drawn. The cameras swooped in on her face. She had tears sparkling in the corners of her eyes. Then the view widened and I could see Peeta tapping a spot on Cato's hand. She loosed her arrow. Cato screamed and released Peeta, falling back into the pack of mutts. Katniss caught Peeta before he could fall. They sat there and hugged each other, Cato screamed below them. A smile began to spread across my face, the rule change would allow two victors from the same district to win. District 12 finally had not one but two victors. I hadn't killed their only chance of a victor when I had killed Maggie. I waited until Cato's cannon fired. It took a few hours and other arrow from Katniss before the cannon went off. The sun rose in the arena but it was still dark outside my room. Then the voice of Claudius Templesmith came over the loud speaker. 

"The Rule change allowing two victors has been revoked. Only one victor may be crowned. May the odds be ever in your favor." 

Katniss's face crumbled, Peeta however didn't look surprised. They conferred in hushed tones. Then Katniss held out a handful of dark berries. My breath caught in my throat when I connected the dots. That was nightlock. Katniss poured some into Peeta's cupped hands and they put them to their lips. I had a moment of horror. Neither of them would make it out. District 12 would probably be punished. Haymitch could be punished. Then the panicked voice of Claudius echoed through the arena. "STOP! Stop! Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the Victors of the 74th Hunger Games. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark." 

Oh my gosh you guys, I am so sorry! Here is an update, I hope you enjoy it! I should be able to update more frequently now that I am done with my finals. I promise I will do my best to keep updating in a timely manner. Let me know what you think, I love hearing what you guys have to say! 

All the love ❤

Buckaroobelle