Chapter 2: Faceless Enemy

It's something that hasn't happened as often as it used to, making it come as kind of a surprise when Edith hears that familiar monotone voice of Alain filling her head as an unpleasant side effect of the implant he put in her head to link their minds.

This memory of his must be fairly recent, as there is no accompanying static behind his empty, apathetic words.

"There are more forces at play in this fight than you and Mayor Wright are aware of. The 'Pull' became stronger a year ago, and it has only grown with the passing time. Soon, my lesser half will no longer be able to fight it."

The Pull? That's what CLive had mentioned the last time they spoke. It actually had a major play in why they fought, and why he left. But is it really that serious? What even is it?

From the other side, there is another voice, the voice of President Bates.

"I don't care about whatever personal agenda you have. Mortality needs to be stopped, and the only way to do that is to cut off the head of the serpent," he says.

Oh no.

She had been warned that with John leading both County Mortal and rebellion Mortality, he will have a constant target on his back, but she didn't really accept what that meant before. But now, it feels real. Bates doesn't just want to end Mortality; he wants John dead.

Fuck that.

She can't see in these memories, not usually, but this time there's something there. She can't see the scene, but filling her vision is darkness joined by a strange red symbol she's never seen before.

After staring at it in silence for a while, Alain speaks again.

"You will have your serpent's head. You will have your siege. The destruction of County Mortal will fall on you, and with it the lives you will take. We are ready to advance. As for the followers of Mortality, leave them to my... Associates, here. Once the city is up in flames, I expect my experiment to be apprehended and delivered to the Citadel."

"Deploy your forces north once I leave Yastra. I send Jane Harvey, one of my new Cogency Elites, with them to eliminate Mayor Wright and acquire my target. You have your siege and I will have my experiment. Once that is done, well, leave that to me."

There may have been more talking after that, but she ignored it. Yastra will be leading a siege on Mortal, and if this memory is recent, that means this will happen soon. John and the citizens need to get away from the city.

"NO!"

Edith jumps awake with a gasp, then instantly regrets it and holds the side of her head, wincing. She groans and looks around slowly, her head pounding and a sick feeling in her stomach.

Well, her room is a mess now. No clue how that happened. The tv is off and her bed is messed up with the blankets fallen to the floor.

Leaned against the bed on the floor is John, sound asleep. Opposite from her in the bed is Cree, who is sprawled out and somehow ended up wearing the snuggie she had on last night. Through the windows, she can see it is still dark out aside from the soft glow of the city lights.

Cree groans and opens his eyes, peering up at her through the dark. "Edith...? Fuck... my head..." He slowly sits up and holds his head as well. "Ugh... what the hell happened in here?" he grumbles and looks around the room.

Edith shrugs. "No idea..."

Cree sighs and winces against his headache. "Hope nothin' too bad."

Edith snorts and eyes him. "What? Worried we had some weird threesome or something?" She lets out a faint chuckle.