Chapter 5: With Your Embrace

Even after all this time, one thing is for certain: The walls of Sage and what lies behind them never change, even as the outside world falls apart.

It's a little past noon when they notice the gently falling snow and where it lines the road leading up to the towering wooden gates. And beside them, a friendly face.

Edith gasps and her eyes light up as she runs towards Lovell Clark. He smiles wide and opens his arms, trapping her in a big hug. "Edith! My word, it has been so long! You have no idea how overjoyed I am to see that you are well! Oh, Professor—I mean, Councilman Angevin will be elated to know that you are here!" he exclaims and pulls away to stare at her face before looking back at the rest of the group.

His smile grows. "CLive! You actually came! We had the invitation sent out a few weeks ago but we weren't sure if you would accept!"

CLive chuckles. "And miss the opportunity to see you and Regan again? Not a chance. I'm thankful the council chose me of all people. I'm not exactly the political type," he says.

Lovell waves him off as he steps to the side of Edith. "We know, and we apologize for roping you into our war efforts. But the council is becoming... desperate, for lack of a better word. Tensions have been high as of late as we have received no word from the other counties on where the war stands. We've been in the dark, and now it's time to shine light on what comes next," he says.

Peace steps towards him. "Do you know if the council is leaning towards helping County Mortal at all?" she asks.

Lovell sighs. "I can't say. I haven't seen any of the council members for at least three weeks now, let alone spoken to any of them. But I know that they must be close to something if they are taking in outside opinions. That's their way of pushing for a final decision with knowing where the counties stand with and or against each other," he explains.

Data rests a hand on Peace's shoulder and she sighs, lowering her head and nodding.

Edith looks at Lovell. "...You haven't even seen Regan?" she asks in a small voice.

Lovell shakes his head. "Afraid not. I was not assigned as his personal escort when he returned, so the only times I've been able to see him have been brief moments of passing him in the upper district of the city, but I hope he is doing well," he says.

CLive studies him. "Aren't you and Regan friends? Why weren't you assigned as his guard?" he asks. Lovell sighs.

"Because I'm not technically a guard. I can't fight very well at all. I am simply here to keep track of all who enter and leave the city. But don't worry, the position of Regan's escort was given to Frazer Webb, I'm sure you remember him. Regan is in good hands." He smiles.

Edith sighs. "That's good to know... Anyway, I'm eager to see him. Can we get in?" she asks. Lovell nods and lifts his small notebook, writing down their names.

He looks down and eyes Thor. His face lights up and he kneels in front of the dog. "Well, hello there! It has been quite a while, now hasn't it! It is good to see you are doing well!" He ruffles Thor's fur around his neck and in return receives gleeful yips and licking on his cheek.

Edith chuckles. "I can't tell if it's cute or conceited how much you and Thor like each other." She grins. Lovell shrugs and stands back up.

"Well, what is someone from Sage without a little bit of both, m'lady?" He winks and finishes writing their names in his book. He puts it away and turns towards the gates. Before opening them, he sighs. "I should probably say this now before you get your hopes up. Only the one given the invitation is allowed to enter the council building. The rest of you will have to wait for the meeting to be over, I'm afraid," he says.