Chapter 17: The Mind

The door slides open and Latanya motions Edith through. Inside is a large, dome-shaped room with a medical bed in the center and multiple lights shined on it from around the room. There are a number of surgical trays set with arrays of tools that remind Edith of Regan's small room where he would help her and CLive. The walls are lined with many charts and schematics that are way above Edith's level of understanding.

Latanya stands beside the door as Edith enters and turns back to look at her. "What now?" she asks. Latanya shrugs.

"Now, my work ends and yours begins. Once I leave this room, I will be leaving the island and heading for County Dominion as I had mentioned I wanted to earlier. Once I'm gone, you just need to retrieve the bomb and make your way to beneath the main lab, where CLive and Alain are right now. Simply set the timer, then get out of here with CLive," she explains.

Edith sees the mournful look in her eyes and tilts her head. "What about Alain?" she asks.

Latanya sighs. "I've done all I can in terms of trying to convince CLive to spare him. All we can do now is wait and see what choice he makes. This is now completely out of my hands," she says.

Edith nods slowly and smiles. "Whatever happens, I won't forget how you've helped us. Maybe when this is all over, you could stay in Mortal with us. I'm sure my friend Data wouldn't mind another pretty face." She grins.

Latanya chuckles. "We'll see. But now, you must focus on what's in front of you. Time isn't on your side as every moment CLive is speaking to Alain is another moment the Pull has a chance to worsen. You have a job to do. So do it. I will be waiting for your return," she says firmly and turns back to the door. It slides open.

"Latanya, can I ask you something?" Edith asks.

Latanya glances back at her. "Didn't you just?" She smiles. Edith rolls her eyes.

"What... happened to Jane?" she asks carefully.

Latanya sighs and looks down. "She was not killed, if that's what you're thinking. Her punishment was something that would probably be difficult for you to understand its severity. Her abilities were revoked, and she was left as nothing more than a simple human. Where we're from, that is considered a fate worse than death," she explains and looks forward before walking out of the room.

The door slides shut behind her, leaving Edith alone. "...Where are you from?" she whispers and brushes the thought aside. Latanya was right, she has a job to do. So she's going to do it.

She waits maybe three minutes before walking back to the door and peeking out as it slides open. She looks in both directions down the hallway before stepping out. The door slides shut behind her.

Still, the Citadel remains silent. It could even be considered deserted. The halls are dark from the blackened sky showing through the windows. The only lights are from the dimly glowing blue pillars lining the walls and from the occasional flash of lightning from the storm outside. She knows how serious this mission is, but she can't help but feel a little annoyed that of all times to let County Unity experience bad weather, it had to be now and make this whole thing feel like a damn horror movie.

She quietly makes her way down the long corridors, occasionally jumping from a sudden rumble of thunder. After reaching the third hall, she stops sneaking and simply walks as she comes to realize that no one's going to catch her. As far as she can tell, she, CLive, and Alain are the only ones on the island.

She feels her head spin a little as she brings her walk to a jog, the fast movement leaving her nauseous. She slows down again and holds her stomach at the resurfacing sickening feeling and she takes deep breaths, shutting her eyes tight against her headache.