Chapter 9: Family

Warning: This chapter contains themes of suicide.

____________________________________________________

For the first time, she can actually see in this memory. Her vision is hazy and there is static filling her head, but she can still see through Alain's eyes.

He's in the Citadel, standing alongside two other SRL who appear to be lower ranked by their plain uniforms. He's standing in a small room, staring at a terminal that has an EPC wired into it. On the screen is a blue bar that moves in tandem with a familiar voice. It's CLive.

"...W... What's happening?" He sounds afraid, as though this has never happened before. Though it is an old memory, so it more than likely hasn't. "Where am I...?" He sounds younger, if that's even possible for someone who physically can't age. Maybe it's just more innocence from his lack of experience in the world.

Alain slowly holds up a hand. "CL-3584. Sovereign Sweeney has ordered me to instigate your punishment. You will feel no pain during the procedure. However, you will once you return to your SRL. Refusal to cooperate will only ensure the punishment is made more severe." He speaks slowly, as though he's talking to a dim child. His voice is as it always has been, but that's not surprising.

Alain looks towards the back of the room to see CLive's body suspended to the wall. It's the body Edith recognizes from when they met, only it lacks the tears in his cheek and arms. The only visible damage is the cuts in his chest from where his EPC was pulled out.

"...3583, what are you doing? Why am I being punished...?" CLive's voice sounds like he's on the edge of tears, but in his current state within the terminal, he is unable to release them.

Alain turns back towards the terminal as the other two SRL begin walking towards CLive's body with batons. "I know it is challenging for you to think, but I know you are not ignorant. You were tasked with acquiring a package from Idyll, but instead, you took the opportunity to visit County Mortal to speak with Adius Wright. You were deactivated and returned to the Citadel to face the consequences, and I am to oversee that you get your due. Is that clear?" Alain explains.

The two SRL begin beating the batons against CLive's body and he lets out desperate cries from the terminal. "3583, please! I just wanted to see him! Let me go!" he begs, the blue line rises and falls rapidly compared to before.

Alain says nothing and closes his eyes, patiently waiting for the punishment to finish.

Edith can still hear the agonizingly familiar sound of metal hitting metal that she had hoped to forget, alongside CLive's cries, pleading for mercy.

Alain opens his eyes again as the SRL finish and return to his sides, standing tall and awaiting his command. He walks towards the terminal and pulls the wires from the EPC, then carries it over to the body, releases it from its suspension, and kneels down.

He carefully wires the EPC back into place and stays kneeled as CLive powers back on.

He opens his eyes and begins hyperventilating, looking around in a panic and wrapping his arms around himself to fight the pain. Tears start pooling in his eyes and rolling down his face, which Edith knows is not easy for an older model SRL to do.

The sight makes Edith wish she were there with him in that moment and able to hold him and protect him from those who caused him harm. He tries moving away from Alain, but his other half holds him steady by his shoulder and raises a calm hand.

"Breathe, CL-3584. Your punishment is over. They will not hurt you anymore. Relax and allow your EPC to mend. Panic will only decelerate your recovery." He sounds oddly comforting, a way Edith had never before heard nor expected to ever hear.