Chapter 12: The Risks We Must Take

Cree ducks into the room and holds the board open from the other side. CLive glances back to see Edith playfully pouting and he grins, ducking into the room and holding the carton in front of the door. As Edith ducks through, she snatches it and rushes to the corner, crouching and guzzling it down.

CLive chuckles and walks over to the table in the center of the room where Alexas is leaned over the map, studying it intently.

Cree walks over as well and eyes her. "Sorry it took so long. Edith was being a hermit again," he justifies and throws a sly glare to where she is in the corner. She's still drinking from the carton, so she simply responds by flipping him off.

Alexas huffs. "Whatever. All that matters is that they're both here now. Are we ready to start, finally?" she asks and glances between the two.

"I guess so? What's even going on here? What are you planning?" CLive asks. Alexas looks to Cree for answers.

"Why didn't you fill him in?" she asks.

He shrugs and leans forward on the table as well. "Figured we'd take care of that right now," he says. "CLive. Let me ask you, do you know who these people are?" he asks CLive.

"Well, Regan mentioned the rebel SRL that destroyed this city were operating here. But I have faith that you and Edith wouldn't be helping them if that were the case. So, tell me, who are they?" He crosses his arms and narrows his eyes at Cree, who nods.

"At least you're up to date on that front. Correct, these are the SRL that destroyed this place a year ago, as I'm sure you remember. But they are not just rebels anymore," he starts. CLive frowns and glances towards the door.

He had been too preoccupied last night to give it much thought, but being back here now that the carnage has passed feels strange. It's an unsettling feeling, knowing that he technically died here over a year ago after taking the full force of a frag grenade. It's moments like this that make him feel damn lucky his EPC had somehow survived the attack and was able to be recovered thanks to Edith, Regan, and Thor. He also feels he owes some form of gratitude to the one who didn't come back from the incident. Madhavi Hassan. If not for her, Regan would be dead.

CLive nods slowly and looks back to him. "Yeah. I remember. But now my question is, why the hell are you helping them?"

Edith gets up after finishing her chocolate milk and walks to his side, resting her hand on his shoulder. "Because this is what remains of Mortality."

CLive instantly steps away from her touch and looks between her and Cree in hopes that they are joking with him. There's no possible way they would not only let these people slander the name of Mortality, but also help them do it. "What?! Have you two lost your minds?!" he shouts. Alexas sighs.

"I know you were there when we hit this place, but back then we had no one to guide us. Now with Ty at the helm, we are making this into something Mayor Wright would be proud of. We are the ones who haven't given up on the hope of the people. We still believe in what Mortality stood for," she justifies.

CLive looks to Cree with a glare. "...You are leading them? I thought you hated SRL!" he questions, only slightly confused by why he is upset about Cree no longer hating his kind.

"I did before I realized John was right about them. You're alive. And in the short time I've been here, I've learned exactly what it is that Unity does to the SRL who defy them. Something I know you are no stranger to. Am I right?" Cree stares pointedly at him.

CLive tenses and looks away from them all. "I—" He growls to himself and grits his teeth. Edith gently grabs his hand and he sighs.

"...This isn't about me. Do you not realize that if the Sage council finds out about this, they might not agree to bring back the Humanity Alliance? They will not support an extension of County Mortal that stands for violence. Peace and Liyah are working to gain support for the county as we speak and once Peace is mayor, she is going to tell the council that these people have nothing to do with Mortality. If they find out that's a lie, they likely will call off the agreement. Not to mention providing any further help down the line. This could make Sage and Mortal become enemies, and that's all without our past and current standing with Unity and Yastra," CLive states.