Chapter 3: Blamed

One month ago.

Edith pulled the key from the lock and turned the knob, pushing the door open. She instantly saw CLive standing beside his bed with his backpack, stuffing supplies in thoroughly.

He looked up from his bag and watched her shut the door behind her with a smile. "Hey, doll," he said, his soft voice gave her immediate joy that made her smile back.

"Hey, CLive. Hope I'm not interrupting anything," she said and walked over, sitting down on the foot of his bed with her legs crossed and looking up at him.

CLive shook his head. "Not at all. And besides, even if I was doing anything important, you always take top priority." He showed her a goofy wink.

She rolled her eyes then looked down at his backpack beside her. "Getting ready to go on another scavenge run?" she asked.

CLive nodded, "Yeah. With the war, the city needs more supplies that we can't afford to borrow from Shelter, as they're struggling just as much. Maybe more. County Dominion still has plenty of places that I haven't gotten to yet, so with any luck, I'll find something useful," he said.

Edith narrowed her eyes at him with a grin. "Don't go bringing back some other 'ancient relic' for you to fall for," she teased.

CLive chuckled and leaned down to give her a kiss on the head. "Wouldn't dream of it, doll. You're too much to handle as it is."

She gave him a playful swat on his shoulder and shook her head. "So how long will you be gone...?" she asked, her tone slightly lowered.

CLive shrugged and returned his attention to his backpack. "The usual; about a week. Why do you ask?" He packed a few bottles of Toxin and some Syringes.

Edith looked down. "I just miss you whenever you go is all. But, I was wondering... why don't I come with you? Just us on the road again, like the good old days." She looked back up at him.

CLive shook his head. "As nice as that sounds, doll... it's not a good idea." He finished preparing his bag and set it on the floor beside his bed. He then walked over to the kitchen area and took out a glass, pouring out a small amount of red wine and taking a sip before putting the bottle away.

Edith studied him. "Why not? It's not like I can't defend myself," she said.

CLive sighed. "It's not that... It's the fact that County Dominion was your home in your old life. You lived in Fair-Haven, grew up there, had your family there. I know you've accepted your new life here. But seeing your old home again could potentially make you miss that life, which would only make settling in harder. For your sake, you need to stay here for the time being," he explained.

Edith tilted her head curiously. "Did you ever go through that? Seeing Colin's old home and feeling attached to it? Where was he from, anyway?" she asked.

CLive sighed again and took another sip which emptied the glass so he set it in the sink behind him and leaned against the counter. "Good question. I don't have many memories of Colin's earlier years. Probably because Alain was created first. For me to get those memories back, I'd... have to merge with him." He looked down and crossed his arms. Edith nodded slowly.

"You can't do that. Those memories aren't worth giving your life for."

CLive's jaw tightened and he turned around to face the sink, turning on the faucet and rinsing the few wine glasses he had stacked in the silver bowl.

He stared at the glass with distance in his eyes.

"...Why can't I?" he said quietly and turned off the faucet, grabbing a dishrag from the counter and wiping the glasses down.