The Story Behind Suratul Fiil

Suratul Fiil talks of the story illustrating the fate of those who tried to attack the Kaaba. The incident took place just before the birth of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

Before Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.S) was born, the governor of Abyssinia, Abraham Al-Ashram, had built a place of worship and asked all Arabs to worship there.

This site was richly decorated with treasures from the collection of Bilquis, Queen of Saba. He erected gold and silver crosses, built ebony and ivory pulpits, and raised the sites stature and expanded its width. But the Arabs refused to bow down.

Their loyalty lay with the Kaaba, built by Ibrahim (May Allah have mercy on him). This angered Abraham so much that he swore to destroy the Kaaba.

The Abyssinians had tame elephants that they used in wars. Abraham gathered his army of men and elephants and marched towards Makkah. As he advanced towards the Kaaba, he defeated the tribes, enslaving the people and seizing their property. Included in this were two hundred camels that belonged to Abdul Muttalib Ibn Hashim, the Prophets grand father, who was then, the leader of the Quraish. The tribes of Quraish, Kinanah and Hudhail decided to fight against Abraha, but they realized that they could not afford such a war and gave up the plan.

Abraham, meanwhile, sent a messenger to the Quraish, who were taking care of the Kaaba. In his message, Abraha declared that he had come only to destroy the Sacred House and wouldnt harm anyone unnecessarily. He said that if the people didnt want to fight, their leader should come and meet him.

Abdul Muttalib was a dignified looking, handsome man came out and went to meet him. His noble appearance impressed Abraham. He did not want to insult him, nor did he want to give a potential enemy an equal status.

Through an interpreter, Abraham asked what the chief of the Quraish wanted. Abdul Muttalib asked for a compensation for the two hundred camels that were taken from him and did not say a word about the expected attack on the Kaaba. When Abraham expressed surprise, Abdul Muttalib answered: I am the master of the camels, whereas the Ka bah – house of worship – has its Lord to defend it.

Abraham, arrogantly claimed that no one could defend the Kaaba from him to which Abdul Muttalib replied: You are on your own!. Abraham then gave him his camels back. Abdul Muttalib went home and told the Quraish about his conversation with Abraham and ordered them to evacuate Mecca and move to the mountains to seek shelter and waiting to see what would happen next.. He then went to the Kaaba, along with some men, and holding the ring of the Ka'ba's door, invoked Allah and sought His aid against Abraham and his troops.

The next morning, Abraham prepared himself, his troops and his elephant to enter Mecca. When they were nearing Makkah, the elephant kneeled down and refused to go any further. The Abyssinians tried everything to make the elephant stand again but in vain. They beat him, hurt him with weapons but still the elephant refused to get up and march towards Makkah. While trying to get him to stand they turned his direction to Yemen and he immediately got ready to move. Similarly he was ready to go to Sham (Syria) but still refused to budge in the direction of the Kaaba.

Allah the Almighty then sent birds from the seaside that resembled hawks. Each bird held three stones: one in its beak and one in its each leg. The birds dropped these stones on the Abyssinians killing them. Some Abyssinians fled while death pursued them every way they went.

Allah the Almighty also sent a severe wind that added to the speed and strength of the stones and caused the majority of the army to perish.

Abraham was hit with a stone as well. His people carried him and his body began to tear apart by the time they reached Sanaa. After a short while, his chest cracked and he died. Ibn Ishaq said some of the Abyssinians managed to return to Yemen and related to their people what had happened to them and to the whole army.

Allah the Almighty made His Sacred House victorious for He wanted to grant it honor, dignity, purification and respect through sending His Messenger Muhammad (S.A.W) and the Legislation He sent with him.

Did you know?

-Suratul Fill is a Makkan surah.

-This surah also shows that Allah fulfils the duas of Ibrahim(S) Years back as he was building the Kaaba at a time when there was no city around and he invoked " Rabi jal hada balada aminan""O Allah make this city peaceful and safe" and Allah fulfilled his dua and still Allah preserves the safety of the city of Makah.

-The first Qiblah that Muslims faced during prayer was facing Al-Aqsa Mosque, after which it was directed towards Makkah.

Subhanallah. Hope we learnt something In Sha Allah.

Shukran Jazakum Allahu kheir.