Showing off

عن ابى هريرة رضى الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله ﷺ: " إن أول الناس يقضى عليه يوم القيامة رجل استشهد ، فأتي به فعرفه نعمته فعرفها ، فقال : فما عملت فيها ؟ قال : قاتلت فيك حتى استشهدت قال : كذبت ، ولكنك قاتلت لأن يقال : جريء ، فقد قيل ، ثم أمر به فسحب على وجهه حتى ألقي في النار ، ورجل تعلم العلم وعلمه ، وقرأ القرآن فأتي به فعرفه نعمه فعرفها . قال : فما عملت فيها ، قال : تعلمت العلم وعلمته ، وقرأت فيك القرآن . قال : كذبت ، ولكنك تعلمت العلم ليقال : إنك عالم ، وقرأت القرآن ليقال : هو قارئ ، فقد قيل ، ثم أمر به فسحب على وجهه حتى ألقي في النار . ورجل وسع الله عليه وأعطاه من أصناف المال كله، فأتي به فعرفه نعمه فعرفها، قال: فما عملت فيها؟ قال: ما تركت من سبيل تحب أن ينفق فيها إلا أنفقت فيها لك. قال: كذبت، ولكنك فعلت ليقال: هو جواد ; فقد قيل، ثم أمر به فسحب على وجهه ثم ألقي في النار. رواه مسلم.

This is an explanation of the above hadith narrated by Abu Hurairah( May Allah have mercy on him) which says:

The first to receive judgement on the day of resurrection are of 3 categories:

1. the one who learned and who studied the Quran and religious knowledge. On the day of judgement Allah will ask him:" What did you do with these favors?" The man will say," I studied knowledge and recited Quran for Your sake." Allah will say to him," You have lied.; rather, you have studied it so it will be said,' He is a scholar' and you recited Quran so it would be said,' He is a reciter'. It was to show off. Then he will be ordered to be dragged on his face to the fire.

2. The person who fought in the path of Allah and killed. On the day of judgement Allah will ask him what he did with his favors and he will say,' My Lord, I fought for your sake." It will be said to him," You have lied. You fought so it would be said,' so-and-so is brave and courageous.' And it was said." The n he will be ordered to be dragged upon his face to the fire and refuge is sought with Allah.

3. The person who was blessed with wealth and began giving charity, to give and spend. On the day of judgement, Allah will ask him what he did with His favors and he will say,' I gave charity and I did this and that.' It will be said," You have lied; rather you did it so that it could be said so-and-so is generous." Then it will be ordered that he be dragged upon his face to the fire.

This is clear that it is obligatory for a person to purify his intentions for Allah in all his efforts, In knowledge, in wealth, in his body and every situation in life. One shouldn't be concerned about what people shall say, this affair doesn't concern him. We should only be concern with the pleasure of Allah, so that you can be written among the martyrs, those whose level is right behind the level of truthful.

Thank you for reading. In Shaa Allah we apply this hadith to our life. Jazakumu Allahu kheir.