e.p. - you thought of us, didn't you?

You heard the front door open and a series of thuds before Emily came into the bedroom, her lips in a small frown. You set your book down on the bedside table, "What is it, my love?" You asked, holding out your arms, signaling for her to come over. 

She let out a whine that turned into soft laughter as she climbed onto the bed, resting her head on your chest. You wrapped your arms around her and took the tips of her dark brown locks in-between your fingertips, gently playing with them as Emily relaxed into you. 

"I just put the kids down. Those two are ruthless when it comes to splashing each other in the bathtub." You cooed. There was a short silence and you tilted your head, doing your best to look at your wife's face. "Baby, are you okay?" 

"I just missed you. A lot." She sighed, tracing undefined patterns on your bicep. 

You kissed the top of her head, "I missed you, too. How did the case go?" 

She readjusted herself so she was looking at your face. Her eyes were red and full of sadness, your heart beginning to ache. 

"We got the guy, but we couldn't save the last vic. She was a mom. Three kids. We had to tell her wife and it was... horrible. I just can't imagine..." Her voice trailed off, putting her head back down.

"You thought of us, didn't you?" A sniffle answered your question, you squeezing Emily tight in your arms. "We're safe, you hear me? I'm not going anywhere and neither are you, or the kids. I love you." 

Emily looked back to you and you wiped the tears that were trickling down her warm cheeks. "Love you, too."