#12# "Congratulations?"

Adelaide stared out to the dark blue of the ocean, a desperate attempt to avoid Victor's eyes. She could feel his gaze on the side of her face, and drew patterns in the cold sand to distract herself from it.

"What's wrong, Bea?" Victor asked quietly, finally disrupting the silence that had settled over them in few minutes it had taken fir them to find a place on the beach away from prying eyes.

Adelaide turned her glare to the ground before her, eyes skipping over the pebbles that were scattered throughout the pale sand. Tear pricked at the corners of her eyes as she tried to think of a way to tell him.

"Addie..." Victor dropped a hand to her side, worrying as he watched tears start to fill her eyes.

"I'm pregnant." She blurted out, immediately slapping a hand over her mouth and burying her face in her knees as sobs started to wrack her body.

Victor faltered for a response. He shoved her announcement to the back of his mind, trying his best to focus on the now hyperventilating Adelaide.

"Addie. It's okay. Your okay." He murmured to her, rubbing her back comfortingly but making sure to give her space and not smother her. "Adds, breathe."

Adelaide barely registered his words, only faintly feeling the familiar hand that massaged repetitive loops across her back.

Breathe, Adelaide. In and out, In and out...

She tried to focus of the voice, dragging great stuttering breaths between her quivering lips.

...In and out, in and out...

She tried her best to centre her focus on certain things. The slightly uncomfortabe sand that she sat on, currently finding its way into the folds of her skirt. The soothing noise of the waves as they slapped against the shore. The patient voice that guided her lungs. The slight wind that hissed along the beach, grabbing at her hair and skirt.

...In and out, in and out...

The chirp of a bird in a distant tree, possibly calling to its family. The low hum that emitted from her chest, a comforting thrum against her heart.

...In and out, in and out...

A pair of lips against her head. It was a comforting gesture, calming and familiar. She knew the lips that continued to lay gental kissed along her hair. Victor.

"In and out, in and out." His voice cut through the chaos of her mind, allowing her to finally take a decent breath. Her lungs loosened, the exhaled of air accompanied by a small swarm of bees. "Thats it, Addie."

Adelaide collapsed against him, eyes closed, and reached to her cheeks to wipe away her tears with shakey fingers. "I'm sorry." She whispered, opening brown eyes to meet his gaze.

"You have no reason to be sorry, Adds. Never apologize for something you can't control, okay?" Victor dropped another kiss to her head, gaining a smile and a half hearted nod. "Do you want to talk later?"

Adelaide sat up and shook her head, trying her best not to start crying again. "No. No, you already know, so I can talk now." She let out a low breathe, shaking her head as if to prepare herself.

Victor sent her what he hoped was an encouraging smile and she began. "The...the doctor told me when we went there two weeks ago. He confirmed it today. I'm pregnant."

"Shit, Addie." Victor sighed, wrapping an arm around her. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Adelaide frowned in confusion as his eyes filled with tears. "Why are you apologising? I'm the one that got pregnant."